Spoke Torque Settings Montesa Front Wheel

anthonysawrey

If you really want to torque you would want to first loosen everything and re-true and tighten again to not twist the wheel.  Other wise just tape the spokes and tighten tell they all have a nice ping sound... as b40rt pointed out you don't want a dull thud sound when tapping them as that would be way to loose. 

• Like 3

Thanks for the advice.. I had all the spokes replaced and the front wheel rebuilt a while ago. I then did a couple of seasons tightening various spokes as needed. Recently I did some overdue truing work to remove some side to side and up and down that had appeared. 

I followed the above clip and another posted by Rocky Mountain ATV and got everything running quite nice. But to finish the job properly as recommended in these clips I need to go round the wheel doing every third spoke and torque everything up evenly (after truing there are some significant differences from spoke to spoke) Going by ear after a major rebuild or truing work is not really the best option and the adjusted spokes if not torqued evenly probably won't bed in very well. Hence my question asking if anyone know the spec torque values for these wheels. Not just my old bike but all models of Trails machines. My manual doesn't mention anything but the info must be available.

26ft lbs is recommended through Rocky Mountain and in some cases MX wheels get torqued up to 60ft Lbs! 26ft Lbs seems ok for regular riding but trails bikes with along with use of low pressures etc, may have higher torque values to help them cope with being smashed over rocks and such. 

cheers

1 hour ago, anthonysawrey said:

Thanks for the advice.. I had all the spokes replaced and the front wheel rebuilt a while ago. I then did a couple of seasons tightening various spokes as needed. Recently I did some overdue truing work to remove some side to side and up and down that had appeared. 

I followed the above clip and another posted by Rocky Mountain ATV and got everything running quite nice. But to finish the job properly as recommended in these clips I need to go round the wheel doing every third spoke and torque everything up evenly (after truing there are some significant differences from spoke to spoke) Going by ear after a major rebuild or truing work is not really the best option and the adjusted spokes if not torqued evenly probably won't bed in very well. Hence my question asking if anyone know the spec torque values for these wheels. Not just my old bike but all models of Trails machines. My manual doesn't mention anything but the info must be available.

26ft lbs is recommended through Rocky Mountain and in some cases MX wheels get torqued up to 60ft Lbs! 26ft Lbs seems ok for regular riding but trails bikes with along with use of low pressures etc, may have higher torque values to help them cope with being smashed over rocks and such. 

cheers

Well bugger me, generations of wheel builders have been wrong !!! Learn something new every day. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, anthonysawrey said:

cheers

I think you may want to double check because I would expect it to be inch lbs not ft lbs on spokes?  Or are you talking some other part bing tightened?

Edit: I just checked my Montesa manual and the rear is saying 3 N.m (26.5 inch-lbs)... interesting I don't see a spec for the front though...

Edited by jonnyc21
  • Like 1

Have a feel of some front spokes on brand new bikes straight out of the box, particularly the Beta, they are quite loose compared to others, but it doesn't cause any issues. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 years later...
On 5/7/2020 at 2:57 PM, jonnyc21 said:

I think you may want to double check because I would expect it to be inch lbs not ft lbs on spokes?  Or are you talking some other part bing tightened?

Edit: I just checked my Montesa manual and the rear is saying 3 N.m (26.5 inch-lbs)... interesting I don't see a spec for the front though...

While doing a search on truing up a new rear rim, I came across this post.  Thought I would add what my 2017 Montesa manual says regarding front and rear spoke torque in case someone in the future searches and finds this thread.

Screen Shot 2023-01-02 at 3.28.12 AM.png

• Like 1