Trials and Social Distancing

johnnyboxer

Here is how we are doing things in Ontario Canada.Copied from our fb web page.

We will still be adhering to the number of changes at SOCT events to keep everyone safe and still be enjoyable. The following will be in place for the Mono Mills and all subsequent events in 2020.
1) Entry to event is restricted to CVMG members. CVMG membership is available online at www.CVMG.ca Proof of membership (membership number or print out of receipt) must be shown at sign up.
2) Pre-entry for the event is required. Deadline is Monday August 3 for Entries for the event.
Register by sending an e-transfer of your $10 entry fee to: Les*********51@gmail.com
IMPORTANT >>> Include your name, CVMG membership number and class (A,B or C) in the comments section of the e-transfer. <<< IMPORTANT
Entries will be accepted on a “first come, first served” basis. Please pre-enter now.
PLEASE SHARE THIS WITH OTHER RIDERS WHO MAY NOT CHECK FACEBOOK OR THE WEBSITE
3) We will be running the event similar to a “shotgun start” golf tournament. Groups of no more than 5 riders will be assigned a section to start at and must remain as a group throughout their event no riding alone. The group may get smaller during the event depending on the class and number of loops, but not exceed 5. Each group will need to wait for the previous group to leave a section before your group proceeds into it.
Organize yourself into groups of 5 and leave in the comments in this post who is in your group and if you don’t have a group, ones registration closes we will organize a group of 5 for anyone needing in a group.
4) At all times respect the “social distance” of 2m from anyone who is not from your immediate household. The only exception to this will be providing emergency assistance to a rider in your group.
5) All individuals entering the property will be required to complete a Covid 19 questionnaire (travel, exposure, symptom related) and have a digital temperature reading taken. Those who cannot pass this initial screening (along with anyone else in the same vehicle) will not be allowed entry to the property.
6) Unfortunately for the safety of everyone there will still be NO SPECTATORS allowed.
If you attend the event please do so with a commitment to respecting and following these rules.

Not that I’m a golfer anymore (I was too bad), the shotgun start idea is brilliant. So maybe four riders with a marked stop area before the next section until the previous lot have cleared. Maybe if they are too slow they should let you through (like golf). This could work really well and if you mixed riders up a bit, there would be a good opportunity to learn from others. And (distanced) would be quite sociable given current circumstances. Great idea IMO.

17 hours ago, nigel dabster said:

if you cant see a problem you dont understand trials? What happens when a rider gets stuck under a machine or foot jammed in wheel? we cant social distance and help him or her? an older observer falls over do you help them up? A rider breaks down at the bottom of a stream do you help push the bike out?

Erm get a grip, would you step over an old lady who falls in Sainsbury's or drive past a crashed car, I wouldn't.

Unless you are completely asymptomatic, which is not a common as you'd think then you will have symptoms, if you've lifted your head up and taken your tin foil hat off you'd recognize you have symptoms and not attend anything. It's as easy to social distance at a trial as it is anywhere. If an old boy falls in a stream with his bike in top of him I'd help him, then do something crazy like wash my hands in said stream or maybe reach for hand sanitizer. The reality is you either lock yourself indoors forever or get out there and be sensible. This virus is not going away in the near future so be sensible,safe and sane. Get used to living with it or you'll live in fear. 

• Like 2

On 7/31/2020 at 11:48 PM, retromlc said:

Erm get a grip, would you step over an old lady who falls in Sainsbury's or drive past a crashed car, I wouldn't.

Unless you are completely asymptomatic, which is not a common as you'd think then you will have symptoms, if you've lifted your head up and taken your tin foil hat off you'd recognize you have symptoms and not attend anything. It's as easy to social distance at a trial as it is anywhere. If an old boy falls in a stream with his bike in top of him I'd help him, then do something crazy like wash my hands in said stream or maybe reach for hand sanitizer. The reality is you either lock yourself indoors forever or get out there and be sensible. This virus is not going away in the near future so be sensible,safe and sane. Get used to living with it or you'll live in fear. 

Im certainly not saying walk over an old woman in sainsburys, quite the opposite. The difference in your analagy is we would both be wearing masks in the supermarket wouldnt we? I do not have a tin foil hat on, ive been working every day since january, except weekends so dont need any advice on "getting out there".

my concern and your lack of it is for others in trials, and in general. It is impossible to say whos asymptomatic (however small a %) who might carry the virus and relying on common sense if youre feeling slightly unwell when so many have so little could be a recipe for spreading the disease. Only yesterday there were nearly 1000 new cases, and whilst all of us want to ride again its not as easy or simple as you make out and really does it matter if we wait a few months?

Edited by nigel dabster

I'm bored of this but, yes a 1000 new cases, primarily from.... Multiple families meeting indoors or multi-generation homes . One of the first easing was exercise outside.

My point is that this virus in all likelihood is here to stay, learn to live with it, 

You can always wear a face mask during trials.

I expect the general population will want someone to protect them from the virus if they are an at risk category, because it would require effort on their part to lose weight, change their lifestyle, ensure their safety and the safety of others by moderating their behaviour.

I've done trials and enduro for 15 year's and apart from signing on your pretty much on.your own.

I am concerned about everyone's Welfare. But I'm realistic about learning to live with it.

2 hours ago, retromlc said:

I expect the general population will want someone to protect them from the virus if they are an at risk category, because it would require effort on their part to lose weight, change their lifestyle, ensure their safety and the safety of others by moderating their behaviour.

Excellent advice, but can you elaborate on how my friend recovering from cancer should "moderate his behaviour " ??

• Like 2

Thanks your friend can find out himself how to moderate his behaviour.

Depends if he is a innocent or if he increased his risk through smoking, drinking, obesity, high salt/sugar diet then he already knew how to modify his behaviour and ignored it.

But if living with covid-19 during treatment then there's plenty of information available. 

But he can modify his behaviour by doing the whole social distancing thing, or would he like someone to do that for him, sorry if I sound blunt because if you are trying to guilt me with the big C word then that won't work, I have walked my son, an innocent through the cancer journey and we lost. 

I took him, during treatment to the 24 LeMans, while he was nutropenic, very risky, but hey we moderated our behaviour, controlled the situation and managed all by ourselves. 

Maybe that's why I get fed up with people's reactions to this virus, it's here to stay and you can live with it,make the most when possible and enjoy your life, or wait until the lifestyle you have led, or your simple genetics give the virus the opportunity it needs to to make you a statistic.

2 hours ago, retromlc said:

Thanks your friend can find out himself how to moderate his behaviour.

Depends if he is a innocent or if he increased his risk through smoking, drinking, obesity, high salt/sugar diet then he already knew how to modify his behaviour and ignored it.

But if living with covid-19 during treatment then there's plenty of information available. 

But he can modify his behaviour by doing the whole social distancing thing, or would he like someone to do that for him, sorry if I sound blunt because if you are trying to guilt me with the big C word then that won't work, I have walked my son, an innocent through the cancer journey and we lost. 

I took him, during treatment to the 24 LeMans, while he was nutropenic, very risky, but hey we moderated our behaviour, controlled the situation and managed all by ourselves. 

Maybe that's why I get fed up with people's reactions to this virus, it's here to stay and you can live with it,make the most when possible and enjoy your life, or wait until the lifestyle you have led, or your simple genetics give the virus the opportunity it needs to to make you a statistic.

My friends nickname was the "clock", because he always thought before he acted/spoke. He was professionally involved with risk management, so lecturers on behaviour patterns are not required. I don't believe anyone with a modicum of intelligence, expects the general population to behave sensibly, however transferring all responsibility to the vulnerable is rather egocentric ?

• Like 1

Wow,lots of really big words there, well done.

If you are implying I am egocentric because I believe people should take precautions for themselves or take responsibility for their actions, or read the advice and be aware. And not sit around expecting someone else to do it for them.

It's not self centered it's asking people take responsibility. Nor does it implying that I am not interested in people

Remember the person who sued McDonald because she split hot coffee on her and the hadn't printed on the cup that coffee is hot.

Well this is the same, if you create a society where people expect to be steered all the time and don't use their limited intelligence to take responsibility, then blame everyone for how they have ended up you have to expect people to grow tired of hearing it.

All my.friends are the same, maybe it's because we run our own businesses, started with nothing and took all the risk, put our money and hours on the line, made our choices. The only friend who isn't like that is a retired civil servant, who knew

Edited by retromlc

13 minutes ago, retromlc said:

Wow,lots of really big words there, well done.

If you are implying I am egocentric because I believe people should take precautions for themselves or take responsibility for their actions, or read the advice and be aware. And not sit around expecting someone else to do it for them.

It's not self centered it's asking people take responsibility. Nor does it implying that I am not interested in people

Remember the person who sued McDonald because she split hot coffee on her and the hadn't printed on the cup that coffee is hot.

Well this is the same, if you create a society where people expect to be steered all the time and don't use their limited intelligence to take responsibility, then blame everyone for how they have ended up you have to expect people to grow tired of hearing it.

All my.friends are the same, maybe it's because we run our own businesses, started with nothing and took all the risk, put our money and hours on the line, made our choices. The only friend who isn't like that is a retired civil servant, who knew

"lots of big words" conversation over, tawt.  

Edited by b40rt

On 8/4/2020 at 8:57 PM, retromlc said:

And there you are the insult, I think your dummy is in the corner

Life is about perception, yours is different from mine

Life is not about perception if you surround yourself with people and friends exactly the same as you. This is how racists are bred and people say things about others they know nothing about with little thought for those less fortunate than themselves through no fault of their own.

Clearly you are wrong about covid as despite advice and guidence from the government the fact they didnt make rules and regulations early enough, just advice, restrictrictions and quarrentine, track and trace etc resulted in the general population doing things other than responsible actions you think they might or taking simple advice. in fact probably the best example is Dominic Cummings visit to barnard Castle to test his eyes for an hour with his baby in the car. 65,000 excess deaths say the opposite - people need to be told what to do and this needed to be enforced. Cheltenham and the madrid liverpool football games reinforce the stupidity of people who never think of the bigger picture or act responsibly, as you suggest they should.

What one American once suing macdonalds has got to do with trials is another analaogy which is way off.

we have a great sport, supported by older and sometimes underlying health conditions, which was my original point. We need to be responsible with their health and not to take unnecessary risks imho.

Edited by nigel dabster
  • Haha 1

Gentlemen, I think that there have been some very good points raised in these posts. The main one being that the consensus of human beings act like sheep and need to be led, they have little by way of common sense demonstrated by their Lemming like behaviour when the sun (thats the sun in the universe and not the tabloid paper) appears, or head to the pubs and restaurants. Lock down was too late, borders were closed too late, NHS support and Care Homes support came too late, our doctors and nurses and front liners support came woefully late....but then now we know what we need to do people still insist on ignoring the developing advice to avoid wreaking Covid-havoc any further. Dominic Cummings actions beggars belief and I am surprised he remains as an advisor...on what I dread to think. 

I truly am in awe of anyone suffering with Cancer and also of the families and friends dealing with the outcomes and expectations. But its not a virus unlike Covid which coincidentally was on the lists of some disinfectant sprays ‘before’ the break out occurred! 

By comparison to what clubs running trials are suggesting it should be no more threatening than visiting the supermarket for essential shopping. Browsing in small crowded shops is asking for trouble. An arena trial no way, but outside in the free air...not re breathed other peoples air...far safer, provided common sense rules are followed. 

Having a go at each other is not productive and in this case has created a negative impression about trials....shake hands and move on with positive ideas for all to consider to keep trials alive and to help our mental welfare and to think of somethings other than negativity.?

Edited by section swept
  • Like 5

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/6/2020 at 9:33 AM, section swept said:

Gentlemen, I think that there have been some very good points raised in these posts. The main one being that the consensus of human beings act like sheep and need to be led, they have little by way of common sense demonstrated by their Lemming like behaviour when the sun (thats the sun in the universe and not the tabloid paper) appears, or head to the pubs and restaurants. Lock down was too late, borders were closed too late, NHS support and Care Homes support came too late, our doctors and nurses and front liners support came woefully late....but then now we know what we need to do people still insist on ignoring the developing advice to avoid wreaking Covid-havoc any further. Dominic Cummings actions beggars belief and I am surprised he remains as an advisor...on what I dread to think. 

I truly am in awe of anyone suffering with Cancer and also of the families and friends dealing with the outcomes and expectations. But its not a virus unlike Covid which coincidentally was on the lists of some disinfectant sprays ‘before’ the break out occurred! 

By comparison to what clubs running trials are suggesting it should be no more threatening than visiting the supermarket for essential shopping. Browsing in small crowded shops is asking for trouble. An arena trial no way, but outside in the free air...not re breathed other peoples air...far safer, provided common sense rules are followed. 

Having a go at each other is not productive and in this case has created a negative impression about trials....shake hands and move on with positive ideas for all to consider to keep trials alive and to help our mental welfare and to think of somethings other than negativity.?

Good thoughts and words.

(As an aside the term "lemmings" is often misused, they are a migratory species who simply follow their instincts, not each other)

I agree we CAN trial outside with the usual precautions but we should be very careful when doing so, and measure the risks.

Edited by nigel dabster

• 4 weeks later...