Hello and help needed from Wiltshire...!!!

Mikey349

Hi everyone,

My name is Mike and live in Wiltshire. There seems to be a lot of help and support on this website so maybe someone can help me with my problem...

I have just bought a 1980 Montesa Cota 349 which as you can see from the photo is in lovely condition. BUT I can only select 1st, 2nd and neutral gears..The clutch cable had been adjusted to maximum so thought maybe replacing this might help matters bearing in mind I couldn’t select neutral when the engine was running. The new clutch cable was fitted and neutral could now be selected with engine running and also 3rd gear was available if you lifted the lever hard enough ( not ideal ) 4th and 5th are nowhere to be found...Can anyone please help and maybe shed some light on what is going on and if they could give me contacts of anybody familiar with classic Montesa’s in Wiltshire who might be able to fix it.

Many thanks,

Mike

C52CC62F-003B-4A05-A594-79E02D060D79.jpeg

• Like 1

The symptoms you describe are what occurs on earlier Montesas when the carrier which holds the selector pawls is fitted upside down. The slot is not quite central, though at first glance it appears to be, which makes this an easy mistake to make, I've done it myself in the past. Easy to remove the pawls and carrier (don't let the pawls and springs fly off and get lost when you do it), move through 180 degrees and refit.

• Like 2

Also, to confirm that it was manufactured in 1980 I have a statement of search certificate from the VINTAGE MOTORCYCLE CLUB LTD who looks at the frame and engine No. along with other details which tells them what year the bike was manufactured. 

Yeah, we get that. Montesa numbers were confusing enough in the current year let alone 40 years ago. That is a great looking machine, but in 1980 all Montesa`s had the unique sub frame. But who knows as many things happen through the years with mix matched parts. Good luck on the shifting mechanism as they are a pain.

On 5/8/2020 at 5:27 PM, Mikey349 said:

as you can see from the photo is in lovely condition.

On 5/8/2020 at 5:27 PM, Mikey349 said:

. BUT I can only select 1st, 2nd and neutral gears..The clutch cable had been adjusted to maximum so thought maybe replacing this might help matters bearing in mind I couldn’t select neutral when the engine was running. The new clutch cable was fitted and neutral could now be selected with engine running and also 3rd gear was available if you lifted the lever hard enough ( not ideal ) 4th and 5th are nowhere to be found...

What you mean is someone has made it pretty externally to sell on.

Lovely condition i would describe as pretty AND mechanically all working well, and at least as good as the factory intended.

Having a box of missing gears, no neutral, an iffy clutch is not part of that description, IMO.

I ran a m/c shop in the UK for 15 years, and if i let a m/c go out in that condition mechanically, yet cosmetically clean & pretty, i would be the first to admit to being a scoundrel and deserved of a good ear bashing.

And a minimum of a warrantied box rebuild FOC.

Well thanks for that comment THAI-TY. BUT...Today before any dismantling took place I thought I would check the obvious...GEARBOX OIL...Barely a couple of spoonfuls came out which was sludgy...Topped up with the recommended amount and road it down the lane and guess what..BOOM..Gears all working...SO not only do I have a PRETTY Machine but it’s fully functional as well..Thanks Thai-ty for being honest about your past, I’m sure there are still those out there who like to rip people off but the this machine did come from a reputable source...Lesson for me..ALWAYS CHECK THE OBVIOUS...Thanks all for your comments.?