SWM Exhaust

dozerash

Best thing would be to reopen the existing and refresh the exhaust insulation and the clogged internal hole tube, then do the same with the rear exhaust where you can too replace the inner baffles against a bigger hole tube and insulation (likewise the Jumbo has). 

Most effect has a redone mid exhaust then the rear. 

I have done so to my Bultaco, which has the same system of mid and rear units with good effect. 

I don't need for the SWM, as I have still NOS rear and mid section exhausts as spares...

Edited by pschrauber
Grammer and spelling issues due to automatic spell checker that was set on German

1 hour ago, turbohead said:

If interested, please, have a look at one of the older threads here where I have attached some pics of how it's done to keep the "right look" and have a modern working exhaust.

I really like your exhaust set up! The fact you can repack it without having to weld it again is nice. I do have a DC tig I recently picked up (it’s actually a 3 in 1, plasma cutter, dc tig and dc stick welder). I don’t have the Argon tank yet. Not that I couldn’t weld it with my mig, I just think it would look better with tig. I just don’t know if I’ll have time right now to build it like I want. Was hoping to find something to use until I have time to fabricate the old one. What are you guys using for a new perforated tube?  

I buy all that stuff for exhausts here they are specialized one hardware to exhausts, depending the diameter you want from 20 to 100mm they can deliver what you need.

I believe it was 38mm, that fittet well for welding ... but I can now mix it up with other bikes...

https://www.hild-tuning.de/auspuff-siebrohr/

Edited by pschrauber

20 hours ago, pschrauber said:

I buy all that stuff for exhausts here they are specialized one hardware to exhausts, depending the diameter you want from 20 to 100mm they can deliver what you need.

I believe it was 38mm, that fittet well for welding ... but I can now mix it up with other bikes...

https://www.hild-tuning.de/auspuff-siebrohr/

Thanks for sending me in the right direction! I’ll start looking in the States for exhaust parts.

I ended up cutting open my stock muffler with my plasma cutter and Dremel tool, worked good. Re tacked all the baffles and welded back up. Didn’t turn out too bad, wish I had a tank of Argon for my tig and done a little neater job. I might go back over it with the tig before I paint.

6A37482E-8DF2-47F3-B0D5-9C2FC6A3B49D.jpeg

B2CF3DAE-C109-4319-B563-F2929EE1FAB0.jpeg

A2125FA6-8EEF-4067-B84C-96AAA1B059A4.jpeg

0158321B-4A05-40BE-8785-06D66C6BC436.jpeg

• Like 1

5 hours ago, turbohead said:

Looks almost OEM, I hope it sound the way it should, too. Good, old fashioned work (no nasty tricks, like mine...).

Thanks! I really liked your setup, I just didn’t have the materials to accomplish that. We are only going to the grocery store now, so there is no metal bits to buy ☹️

Living in another country, with another approach to the current situation, it is hard to comprehend the affects of a more or less total lockdown like in the US. No metal bits to buy makes me sad and lonely.......

Being a civil servant, I have been working from my home office since mid March and no change in sight. Apart from doing more video-sessions than ever before, it is not that bad (still not infected, of course...). There is also time for a few hours every day in the workshop, right now restoring an old Atlas Copco Cobra rock drilling machine, very odd solutions in there..... learning new thing about old tech every day. And using an old US Army manual as there are almost no documentation on these things left elsewhere.

Looking forward to normal biking, soon!

Cobra.jpg

• Like 1