1 of 3 tr34 260 1988

Donniejn

Well it looks like I'm starting from scratch AGAIN. I've seen many pictures and replies to my questions. I was told this tr34 is a 1988. I received a reply the other day that suggested it is actually a 1987. Well I just found a video of vintage Beta motorcycles and it appears I do have a 1987. I'm not sure how many changes happened between the two years. I hope not much. I've received incredible information and hope for more.  My next question is a simple one. Why are the 87, 88 and 89 called replicas? 

On 5/10/2020 at 8:38 PM, fourex said:

I don't think three types of TR 34 in 1988, maybe three types between '87 and '89. The way I remember the transition is based on my recollection from the eighties when I bought a brand new '87 TR34 from Florence at great expense because we had no importer at the time in Australia. 

The '87 TR34 tank was White/Blue/Red from top to bottom and had a MX looking muffler and the worst clutch imaginable that dragged.(mine)

1988 TR34 Replica, Blue/White/Red tank graphics from top to down, muffler that hugged rear sub frame and apparently improved clutch , never rode one.

1989 TR34 Stripey/Zebra, colours as above, muffler hugging the frame, much better clutch than my '87, had a importer now to Oz so got to ride a few, nice bike.

I had a test ride many years ago on either an 88 or 89 at Bennoble (Robert Marsden's bike) and absolutely loved it. After riding it, I couldn't believe that people still bought Yamaha monos after that TR34 had come out

• Thanks 1

Feetupfun You were definitely correct. I was told it was an 88 but after some more research after reading your reply it is definitely an 87. No worries here I'm happy with it. I don't know what or how many changes there are between the two. But it's important for me to ask the right questions for the right year. Thanks much 

Then the carb is different in set up the TR 34 MK i had the predecessor of the PHBH 26DS and not an idle nozzle instad an idle jet,

Other differeneces:

- different reeds (dual stage!) from 1988 on,
- clutch was changed, and worked a bit better from 1988 on,
- the frame rear was fromerly made out of steel, the MK II had Aluminium,
- the MK I had three exhaust pieces mounted,
  the later MK II a bigger and quiter aluminium piece also a sidecover at that side,
- the MK I had no disc protections mounted,,
- the MK II had enhanced linkage levers made out of Aluminium, the MK I still had steel, 
- the MK had not fancy aluminium and titanium screws mounted and painted lower front Forks.

I had the MK I too back in the days, that wsthe reason I bought the MK II later, here my MK I from 1987:

Rk2oD-ywzyx9ygQ3pq_aBYcLv6JoVssmkmfCwFpf

NXpnlWFDhRXNcjPW-vgT-fHMPgRvlKKxaUKwDLJN

Edited by pschrauber
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

WOW That's the one I have. These are the best pictures I've seen yet. Now I know what she's supposed to look like. Fantastic. I love the look she has. I've seen many pictures of the tr34 with this gas tank but silver forks, tail frame. Etc. It's been very confusing.  Thunk you much 

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

Yes definitely an 87. I am surprised I was told it was an 88. There were a lot of changes in the next 2 years. Everyone has the same opinion of the clutch. It drags a little but I've had worse. 87 Honda CR 250 to name one. I think 2 stage reeds might help response. 

• 6 months later...
On 5/12/2020 at 11:40 AM, Donniejn said:

Thank you for the information. That will be a good project for the weekend. I haven't located a service manual yet. I did manage to get screwed by.All Service Repair Manuals. Charged twice and no manual. You and the other people on this site are a tremendous help and much appreciated. 

Any luck finding the manual? I've just bought an '8 TR34 and looking for one as well.