Is this Forum actually about Trials?

johnnyboxer

I log on every few days, from time to time and click New topics

Nowadays, every post seems about how to fix this bike or that bike, what's wrong with this grub screw etc

Nothing about the actual sport of Trials

I have noticed this over the past year or so (so don't blame lockdown)

When Trials Central first started it was all about Trials riding, comps, views, differing techniques................now it's got boring and just like a Trials bike repair shop

Last week I tried to discuss Trials after lockdown, the influence of social distancing at events etc..................what happened? 5 or 6 replies and that was it

Does anybody actually compete on their bikes anymore or just go to play and practice?

Years ago, you would get commentaries on the SSDT and Scott, plus WTC.................now nothing, last year's SSDT 2019 barely got a mention

What's going on??

• Like 2

I think you raise an interesting point, and perhaps I am one of those who has contributed to the bike repair posting problem (sorry!).

I tend to "hover" in all areas, reading what others are posting, and asking the occasional question or contributing a reply if I can help, but, being very much a "beginner" in terms of competing - only once a month on the wobblers route at my local club, I suppose I feel I have little to contribute to most of the discussions about national and international high level competition. I think nearly all of my posts have been maintenance related and, for me, this is an excellent aspect of this site.

I find the SSDT footage and reports very interesting as I feel I can relate to the style of riding and terrain more than the indoor hopping around events (although I know I will never get to the standard required to even attempt a SSDT section!). I think in any sport there are those like me who enjoy taking part at their own level, sharing an interest, and supporting local events. Others do all that but also love following/supporting/spectating professional level sport, and they have their heros and opinions to share.

I hope your observation encourages more discussion and posting of the things you enjoy on here, and I hope I can expand my knowledge a bit more too! Cheers.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3

I don't think this is a universal problem, for example my personal opinion is very different, I find the bike projects and repairs more interesting than much of the sporting side. Techniques threads are often interesting but results and debates on what score should have been given or which rider people support don't interest me at all.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, totty79 said:

I don't think this is a universal problem, for example my personal opinion is very different, I find the bike projects and repairs more interesting than much of the sporting side. Techniques threads are often interesting but results and debates on what score should have been given or which rider people support don't interest me at all.

I agree.  Trials is a participation sport more than anything.  Most people have a bike and ride.  I don't follow the big competitions very much and so really don't know who is riding in what.  The next big competition here (UK) is in Tong and it's too far to go.  I don't imagine anyone is much interested in my club or who is "winning" beyond the club members themselves and even then we don't much care as a whole.

I like to look at other people's projects - some are good others less so but it is sort of interesting to see what people are doing.  I am interested in repairs that affect my bike choices, the Beta clutch fix is a good thread for example.

I think the site would be very quiet if it was just about Raga vs Bou and so on. 

• Like 3

I asked the question last year about the lack of coverage of the Scott it was very obviously not covered as well as previous years but then again I am not up there contributing either !

The world scene is a waste of time, I don’t see how the small sport justifies its existence in its present form. Bring back the days of guys turning up in a Transit van, read the stories of Lampkin ( Martin) , Rathmell, Birkett etc competing at world rounds, it’s all got too sophisticated chasing the mythical interested spectators.

I have said before this sport is all about the clubmans participation at grass roots level that’s why we get entries on the day of approaching 150 for a practice trial but struggle to fill 40 places for a centre trial, the sport has moved on its more about lads just riding their bikes at a level they are ‘ safe’ at rather than pushing themselves to compete.

So now you end up with a website ( which is brilliant ) that caters for the bike enthusiast rather than pure competitors.

Edited by collyolly
Changed from ssdt
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2

I agree with pretty much everything that's being written....

How many of us remember the T&MX news build up to the SSDT , it was 4 to 6 pages of the gossip, pictures of the specials being ridden, I think in 1981 or 82 someone rode a Puch Dalesman and Roger Holden the Ossa importer had a couple of cantelever specials entered, and to read it all in the paper with all the other info was great. It wasn't just just reports on bike fixes, it had the lot!

Not all of us can compete all the time, so reading others exploits, or details of practice etc. etc. is ideal and we could do with a bit more of it. I do enjoy the bike resto reports and the interesting fixes for bikes that go wrong, not sometimes the modern bike fixes gets a bit too much. Of course, with the current situation going on, theres not a lot to report on, but when we all bounce back, let's hear about the exploits!

Edited by jonboy883
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, 5again said:

Social Media is going on.

Things change, not always for the better of course.
Misinformation, and strongly  held, ill informed opinion never had a better platform. 

I think jonboy883 has got it right. Our club has a good website and facebook page but its the Facebook page that gets most of the hits and 60% of the hits to the website comes from the Facebook links. Websites are good for somethings probably not for general chat.

• Thanks 1

I like this site but it is quiet, but if you search and dig around you can find out most thing's, I'm always looking for technical training advice and video's, thanks to the general attitude towards motorcycle off road gone are the days that you could just go to some.waste land and practice, I can only ride wobblers days and occasionally an event, so building skills is hard unless you spend your whole time driving around the country. During the lockdown I've spent a lot of time riding in the back garden trying to improve, but if I could just find a bit of land and practice I'd ride more, if I turn up at an event I just haven't had enough bike time to not feel like a dick in a section.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, retromlc said:

I like this site but it is quiet, but if you search and dig around you can find out most thing's, I'm always looking for technical training advice and video's, thanks to the general attitude towards motorcycle off road gone are the days that you could just go to some.waste land and practice, I can only ride wobblers days and occasionally an event, so building skills is hard unless you spend your whole time driving around the country. During the lockdown I've spent a lot of time riding in the back garden trying to improve, but if I could just find a bit of land and practice I'd ride more, if I turn up at an event I just haven't had enough bike time to not feel like a dick in a section.

I agree, this site is quiet but there's loads of useful information on here. There's not a lot to talk about in terms of trials because nothing really changes and there's only so many arguments to be had about no-stop! ???

I've dipped in and out of trials for a few years but it was only this last year that I bought a decent bike and found a proper practice area that brought my riding on pretty quickly. 

I found going to trials to be frustrating because if you couldn't do a section then you didn't get a chance to figure it out. I learned more in a few weeks of practice than I did in a fair number of trials. Mind you, getting some pointers from a better rider made a load of difference too. 

Now, I'll enter trials quite regularly for the challenge but I actually prefer going practicing because you get more out of it and actually Improve. 

• Thanks 2

11 hours ago, retromlc said:

Turn up and ride, plenty of helping hands and advice at a Trial

Don't be afraid, you won't show yourself up

It would be interesting to see the age demographic of this site. Loosely speaking id say the younger trials rider is more into the competing side, and the older into restorations and casual riding (there are exceptions). And as said above, most younger people are on social media. That being said, i don't even come across much chat or discussions on facebook (bar the ssdt) regarding what you are say! 

Edited by faussy
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, faussy said:

It would be interesting to see the age demographic of this site. Loosely speaking id say the younger trials rider is more into the competing side, and the older into restorations and casual riding (there are exceptions). 

Oh I don't know... Don't underestimate the competitiveness of a 40 something male..

"You've still got it Bob... You've still got it..."

5 hours ago, faussy said:

It would be interesting to see the age demographic of this site. Loosely speaking id say the younger trials rider is more into the competing side, and the older into restorations and casual riding (there are exceptions). And as said above, most younger people are on social media. That being said, i don't even come across much chat or discussions on facebook (bar the ssdt) regarding what you are say! 

I posted a little April fools video for a little fun - after 2 days I looked at the demographics seems we are a bunch of old guys... I realize that isn't true but the few that are not in that category are less than 1% - at least according to however YouTube figures that out. 

• Like 1