Is this Forum actually about Trials?

johnnyboxer

On 5/19/2020 at 7:03 PM, turbofurball said:

Well, he's riding it like a modern bike, using the clutch a lot

Agreed. It doesnt sound nice, or like a bultaco should to me. Hes also swapped the rear brake for a strange complicated set up which defies logic to me.

On 5/11/2020 at 6:15 PM, Andy said:

It's an interesting topic. Going by the stats TC hasn't got any quieter over the years in terms of traffic (It is down over the past couple of months due to lack of news, but that will bounce back). Scroll down to the bottom of the forums and you'll always see a large number of "lurkers".

The main reasons TC has become very bike focused is partly down to a very knowledgable and helpful user base (for which I thank all contributors) and the work that the forum software providers have done in search engine optimisation. If you have a problem with your bike, do you go to Facebook? No. You go to Google with your problem and you will always find TC very near the top of the results, and more often than not the top result. It's the gap in the market that TC is filling very well. There is no other resource like it for Trials.

There has been much debate about the place of forums in the world of anti-social media and there is absolutely a place for them. If you want arseholes, self-professed "experts" on every subject under the sun and pictures of people's cats, head for Facebook. If your topic is of a more important nature, use a forum.

Interestingly, I did some research a few months ago as I was working with a charity that had abandoned their website and gone 100% Facebook. Only roughly 65% of people in the UK use Facebook so that was over a third of the potential donating public they were completely ignoring. The core Facebook platform is also in decline. They're clever at hiding that fact as they bundle WhatsApp and Instagram users into their published user counts and both of those Apps are still growing so it hides the decline in Facebook itself. The charity now has a website again and it's brought in a substantial amount of money since relaunch.

interesting insight Andy.

I miss the days of the world round videos and generally there was more chat about WTC, X Trial etc etc. But there is little to talk about really on the world scene. Not much going on the R+D front so little excitement about bikes.

Shirtys posts used to be good but stopped.

I think maybe the focus of the site and forums has changed ?

All of the above takes time and effort however to keep going.

• Like 1

I’m not a regular visitor here, but for what it’s worth I do agree with the OP that there’s little talk of actual events and competing which is regrettable, though presumably it’s because few find it of interest?

I think the technical discussions are a valid and much needed part of the forum, as time goes by we risk losing knowledge if the exchange of information is not maintained, I know from recent personal experience how hard it is to find basic technical information on some of the more popular bikes from the 70’s, and have been helped greatly by other members here. Trials is tough on machines and even those with bikes only a few years old need some support to keep them going and thus compete.

There’s no easy answer save to say if you’re not happy, post on the stuff that interests you and hope that others join the conversation. 

• Like 2

On 5/20/2020 at 11:41 AM, thai-ty said:

Oder deine zwei Pfennig....

Yes but Pennies we have lost now we use Cent. 

Anyway Trials is a great way to ride a motorcycle and that it is about weater it is in competition or training or hiking in the mountain area. 

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/12/2020 at 11:15 AM, pschrauber said:

I have two explanations for the shift in questions and answers in my personal opinion:

Modern trials riding has got more and more acrobatic, so less people can follow the sport.

Still People like trials riding and thus classic trials has grown, as there is not so much acrobatic
involved.

We have more classic trials events and classic trials rider then modern ones and I' am Talking
about North Germany which is not  the area where you can ride trials so easy due to the lack
of ground modulation and stones.

With more people riding old machinery there are more questions and answers how to repair
and maintain this and that to old old machinery wehre maintaince books, prts, bla bla bla got
lost.

I personal like that, it's interesting, while instead for me looking expecial at X-Trails this is cool
but getting to my personal taste ridiculous difficult and also dangerous, that was not trials when
I startet trials riding, backthen it was just difficult and challangeing but no so dangerous… that
has changed.

Just my 2 Pence ...

Spot on.  I'm new to trials riding, 3-4 months thus far, but been kinda watching and been interested in it going on 25 years.  It's morphed into something I don't recognize.  Exact same thing can be said for bicycle trials, std. bikes were ridden 25 years ago and we now have contraptions that look nothing like bikes.

Point is, now that I've started riding I can appreciate the simpler techniques & fundamentals I actually end up going back and watching trials form the early to mid 90's which is much more relevant to what 99% of folks do.  Toni Bou is fun to watch, non-moto people are amazed on Instagram, but it's at the detriment of the sport to a certain extent....when I show my GF 'normal' trials she is very underwhelmed and asks me what they are not hopping on their back wheels like the top pros....

• Like 2

Just responding to the OP: so is the only allowed topic competitions, then?  Are you not a "trials rider" unless you live and breath competitions and discuss them 24/7?  

I'm not sure why people discussing fixing (trials) bikes seems taboo.  I mean, they're trials bikes. You can't ride trials without a functioning trials bike.  

I'm a new member here, but I've been a long time member of numerous other interest forums, and the topics of discussion are always cyclical.  This is probably the least active forum I'm a part of, but that's not surprising, trials has always been a much small community.  It's a subculture within a subculture, within another subculture.    

So to answer your question, yes, this forum is about trials.  Everything trials.  Trials bikes, trails comps, trials gear, trials techniques, and trials riders, even if some of us don't compete.

8 hours ago, OregonComrade said:

Spot on.  I'm new to trials riding, 3-4 months thus far, but been kinda watching and been interested in it going on 25 years.  It's morphed into something I don't recognize.  Exact same thing can be said for bicycle trials, std. bikes were ridden 25 years ago and we now have contraptions that look nothing like bikes.

Point is, now that I've started riding I can appreciate the simpler techniques & fundamentals I actually end up going back and watching trials form the early to mid 90's which is much more relevant to what 99% of folks do.  Toni Bou is fun to watch, non-moto people are amazed on Instagram, but it's at the detriment of the sport to a certain extent....when I show my GF 'normal' trials she is very underwhelmed and asks me what they are not hopping on their back wheels like the top pros....

Normal trials is underwhelming.  Boring.  Why anyone would watch it is a mystery.  But that is because it is a participatory sport not a spectator sport.  It would be like watching someone sat on a river bank for three hours fishing.  Hard to imagine why anyone would do that, but not hard to enjoy the peace and quiet and relaxation of going fishing for an hour or two.

Although, to be fair, there is a sub group of barely human people that watch something called "Big Brother".  It was on UK TV "live" and people did actually watch another (barely) human fast asleep.   Apparently this is called "reality" TV.  Now in my opinion the reality is is you watch it you are a bit of a dickhead but hey, let's be fair, some people do.  And at least while they are watching someone asleep they are not stealing anything (bar some atmospheric oxygen maybe).

Trials slowly kicking back off here in Australia. Interesting opinions in this feed. I personally am over the moon to get back out on the bikes with my daughter riding this Sunday. We do it for fun, the challenge, camaraderie, breakfast bakery stop at 7am, and we share this with our riding members ranging from 6 to 74. And I can't hop....

Edited by LMCC_AJS_PATH
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, ChrisCH said:

Normal trials is underwhelming.  Boring.  Why anyone would watch it is a mystery.  But that is because it is a participatory sport not a spectator sport.  It would be like watching someone sat on a river bank for three hours fishing.  Hard to imagine why anyone would do that, but not hard to enjoy the peace and quiet and relaxation of going fishing for an hour or two.

Although, to be fair, there is a sub group of barely human people that watch something called "Big Brother".  It was on UK TV "live" and people did actually watch another (barely) human fast asleep.   Apparently this is called "reality" TV.  Now in my opinion the reality is is you watch it you are a bit of a dickhead but hey, let's be fair, some people do.  And at least while they are watching someone asleep they are not stealing anything (bar some atmospheric oxygen maybe).

I still like watching it as I did back in the 90's with the VHS's I used to order as a kid.  It's a lot more interesting than say a harescramble where guys rush off the line do their business than race back over the finish line.

33 minutes ago, OregonComrade said:

I still like watching it as I did back in the 90's with the VHS's I used to order as a kid.  It's a lot more interesting than say a harescramble where guys rush off the line do their business than race back over the finish line.

I assume you mean trials not BB ?

To be fair if you have an interest in trials then it is maybe something a person might go to watch.  There are not many of us with an interest though.  I recently went to watch an X-Trial and it is a full on entertainment event.  Loud music and multicoloured lights, the full experience.  (Beer too)  I am sure such a "spectacle" would appeal to lots of people with little or no interest in conventional trials.

1 hour ago, ChrisCH said:

I assume you mean trials not BB ?

To be fair if you have an interest in trials then it is maybe something a person might go to watch.  There are not many of us with an interest though.  I recently went to watch an X-Trial and it is a full on entertainment event.  Loud music and multicoloured lights, the full experience.  (Beer too)  I am sure such a "spectacle" would appeal to lots of people with little or no interest in conventional trials.

Not many here with an interest in trials?  Wait, what!

I think the whole x-trial thing is a detriment on a whole TBH, like everything else, it's gotten so extreme people can't relate, I think that's a fatal blow to sports on a whole.  Exchanging ability to relate for excitement is a slippery slope.   Kind like the 'motocross' thing...I had a convo with folks at work were going to watch 'motocross' they actually meant the Travis Pastrana freestyle show....had nothing to do with actual motocross racing, tried explaining this to them, but gave up...double back flips, front flips and whatever else they do these days is much more interesting than watching guys rip around a track.  Back in the 70's and 80's local motocross was huge, tracks were not crazy and were approachable, but that slowly died out to the big pro events with crazy tracks and huge jumps but even the pro moto events like the one I go to yearly, Washougal, it's not quite like it was even 10 years ago....nobody is doing backflips, so the average person is not interested.

• Like 1