221 exhaust caustic soda method

ssdt1980

I want to clean out my Sherpa exhaust by the caustic soda method but reading up on it is a bit confusing... use of a rubber/potato bung, etc etc...

If anyone has got any experience of doing it this way could give a step by step guide that would be great. 

Cheers Tony ? 

I can't see how it can be effective.  The middle silencer has a perforated tube and packing around it. The packing can get soaked or clogged with oil and carbon meaning it no longer absorbs the sound, or the packing could have completely disintegrated and have been blown out leaving an empty chamber. Caustic soda won't fix either of these, the only fix is to cut the silencer open and replace the packing after ensuring the holes in the tube aren't blocked. 

Same for the lower part of the back box which is also perforated tube with packing.

The only place it could have any effect is in the rear box of the rear silencer which is all baffles but as these rarely clog (I've never seen a clogged one) I doubt there would be any benefit

If the bike is noisy it's the packing that needs renewing

I've seen it used on front pipes where caustic soda is put in the expansion/front pipe, a bit of water or other actuator is added and either corks or potatoes are pushed on either end to keep the mixture in it.

The spuds will pop out, so stand clear, and use marigolds and glasses! It will strip out a coked up expansion pipe easily, but rinse through with warm/hot water when finished. 

Easier method is oxyacetylene torch and burn off coke up.

Edited by jonboy883