Stuck Float?

rr62

I foolishly left my TY175 standing for a few more weeks than usual - normally try and fire up every other week.

It normally starts first/second kick no problem at all and always runs really well and cleanly. This time it wouldn't. It fired once but then nothing happened and I looked down and fuel was coming out of the overflow below. 

I'm guessing this is the float stuck? I looked online and the 'quick fix' seems to be to turn off the fuel and put compressed air in this exit overflow. Is that right? There's a small garage in our village with an airline who would do it (they are still open) but I don't want to screw it up. Nor do I massively want to strip the carb if I don't need to.

Any quick pointers? Thanks!

IMG-8798.JPG

Petrol off, no choke ,kick and see if it'll go.

If not, plug out and kick it a few times, then try again, preferably with a new plug.

Normal practice for me is to tap the float bowl as its filling. 

• Like 2

Many thanks both for the advice - much appreciated. b40rt - will try those pointers. And teamferret - I'll avoid that air line (just shows not to blindly follow those youtube 'tips'). Thanks!

• Thanks 1

Have someone pull and hold the front brake.  

Lift the back wheel up about two feet and then drop it.  

This normally frees up a slightly stuck float.  

If not then you may have to take the carb off and check.

Edited by billyt

B40rt - many thanks again (and thanks all for various advice - much appreciated). A few sharp taps on the outside of the float bowl. Fired up 2nd kick. Awesome. And so crisp - electronic ignition and a WES tailpipe help big time. Very happy (neighbours maybe less so...)!

• Like 1

On 5/17/2020 at 7:37 PM, rr62 said:

B40rt - many thanks again (and thanks all for various advice - much appreciated). A few sharp taps on the outside of the float bowl. Fired up 2nd kick. Awesome. And so crisp - electronic ignition and a WES tailpipe help big time. Very happy (neighbours maybe less so...)!

You have effected a temporary repair,the kind to enable you to finish a  trial. There is no way I would leave it like that - Something caused the float to stick,most likely will do it again. Nothing worse than a badly maintained bike playing up during a trial.