Wheel id please

delberto

Definitely Sherpa T - though possibly used on other models of the period.  Early seventies for sure.  I have one identical to it on my m80 (see attached).  It definitely differs from the earlier m49 with multiple flat ribs (see attached of  my 49) which, if you can believe, is even heavier than the wheel you have pictured.  For fun I threw my own m80 rear wheel onto the scale the other day and, even without a sprocket, backing plate/brakes etc., it weighed over 12 pounds.  With a tire and tube, it was close to 24 pounds!  Very heavy.  I'm definitely going to run the later conical rear for sure!

Cheers -

C.

20200225_153333_resized.thumb.jpg.57e2c01ef3fe9ba765916271de97411e.jpg

20200506_163751_resized.jpg

• Like 1

thanks for that, so am i correct in saying its not an M49 rear wheel then? It has got the ribs on it maybe not clear in picture. 

Where did you get the front mudguard stays from on your m80? 

cheers

derek

Hi Derek -

It likely is from a m49.  My m80 is an early example - still has the u-shaped handlebar fasteners and steel control levers like the m49.  Perhaps your bike was a later iteration leading up to the m80 which inherited many of its parts.  Bultaco was kinda organic that way in their development, I think... a fair bit of overlap here and there!  I wouldn't worry about it much and, as mentioned, I would preserve the earlier wheel and ride the lighter wheel unless you're truly aiming for a stock-specific rebuild. 

As to the stays, they're from In Motion.  They definitely look the part but are not nearly as rigid as the original pieces which were chromed steel.  They will support the fender but bend in a stiff wind.  Sure do look right with an alloy fender though...

Cheers!

Christian

6 hours ago, vintagenut said:

Definitely Sherpa T - though possibly used on other models of the period.  Early seventies for sure.  I have one identical to it on my m80 (see attached).  It definitely differs from the earlier m49 with multiple flat ribs (see attached of  my 49) which, if you can believe, is even heavier than the wheel you have pictured.  For fun I threw my own m80 rear wheel onto the scale the other day and, even without a sprocket, backing plate/brakes etc., it weighed over 12 pounds.  With a tire and tube, it was close to 24 pounds!  Very heavy.  I'm definitely going to run the later conical rear for sure!

Cheers -

C.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who weighs wheels.

I suspect that the rim type is also a reason for why the later Sherpa T rear wheels are so much lighter than the M49 and M80 rear wheels.

3 hours ago, vintagenut said:

As to the stays, they're from In Motion.  They definitely look the part but are not nearly as rigid as the original pieces which were chromed steel.  They will support the fender but bend in a stiff wind.  Sure do look right with an alloy fender though...

Cheers!

Christian

They are copies of the original style for the M49 and 80 Sherpas, the chrome steel stays are the style fitted to later model Sherpas and as you say, a lot stronger 

4 hours ago, feetupfun said:

I'm glad I'm not the only one who weighs wheels.

I suspect that the rim type is also a reason for why the later Sherpa T rear wheels are so much lighter than the M49 and M80 rear wheels.

No - you're not alone.  I built a Canam 125 for vintage MX awhile back and was surprised how heavy the OEM wheels were.  The magnesium hubs were a bit lighter but not by much and have a concerning history of breaking.  I opted for some '74 Pursang hubs I had on the shelf and laced them to some new Excels. I could immediately feel the difference just taking the bike off the stand. 

And yes, the later shoulderless Akronts are significantly lighter than the earlier mud-catchers... even lighter than the Excels mentioned though not as resistant to denting, IMHO.  As a performance package, the lighter late model wheelset is definitely the way to go if you're building a rider... at least in the rear.  I don't believe there's as dramatic a weight savings to be had running the later conical up front but, in combination with the shoulderless Akront, it's still definitely lighter.  As to which front hub of the two provides better stopping power... that I couldn't say.  Kinda depends on the sum of the components and condition of the surfaces I suppose.

Cheers All -

C.

• Like 1