Montesa 348 rear brake

yam175

The back brake on my 348 is not great , checked the shoes ,plenty of lining and they are vented , cleaned the dust and give them a rub with sandpaper to take the shine off , applied the brake before tightening the spindle , and they still not great ,any ideas

It sounds like your shoes are only making contact with a small area of the brake drum. Its common to find bits of sheet metal wedged in between the shoe and brake cam, it means the drum is worn...a lot! Oversize brake linings is a way forward. I would measure the i.d. of the brake drum and then the o.d. of the brake shoes, thats shoe and not the lining. Now contact Villiers Services or your chosen brake reliner and ask for oversize brake linings. These will then give you more surface area contact with the lining and drum. I’ve done this on a few Bultaco’s that had steel drum liners to good effect.

• 2 weeks later...

Update on rear brake shoes , scuffed the drum and the shoes , leading edge done ,brake still not great before I contact villers, the brake pedal is hitting the foot peg , pegs are lowered , have a look at the photo see what you think

29E948C8-2864-48F3-8C4B-7F655E64A30B.jpeg