250 vs 300 RR's

Speed Metal Army

Not to flog a dead horse here but.....

I ride a 280 GG, just wondering which '18 TRS RR would be comparable? I like the snap the 280 has, fast throttle fitted. No deficiencies in the motor for me.

Will I be underwhelmed by the 250? The 300 seemed really smooth, but I have yet to ride the 250. 

Anyone who has ridden both, I would like a quick review if possible :)

Thanks!

I can't help you on the other two but I have a '17 280 RR and it has smooth power that is OK for me (18 months riding trials).  I bought it as a friend had a 250 One which he bought as the 300 was "too much" for him, so he sold it.  From what I have read about it the 300 is a bit overkill for most people.  I wanted a 250 but couldn't find one, but I have not found the 280 to be any bother.

I speak to a lot of people who are quite surprised I have not fitted a slow throttle and all sorts of other performance removers.  If you are happy with the 300 I think you have probably answered your own question.

I used to ride a 280 GG, had them for years. I'd fit a 1mm base gasket and a flywheel weight. It still had more go than the 250 and the increased torque suited me. I'm on my second 280 TRS, I have messed around with the needle as they are a little weak out of the box but that's it. No flywheel weight no additional gaskets and I run standard fast throttle as I did on the Gas Gas. Both are great bikes 

The first TRS I ever rode was a 250. It seemed quicker with plenty of power. I just bought a 300 Tuesday. Not that I needed a 300, but it already lived in my enclosed trailer. Thanks for the deal, Son. If I was buying new it would have been the 250. The 300`s seem just a tad slower and the added mass just feels bulky.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, brianrch said:

I now have a 2020 TRS 250 and I would have to agree with lineaway. I ride mid-level, cant hop or do anything cool but find the power to be perfect.

I've a 19 250 RR with a slow throttle and ride about clubman level. I'm also 105kg and the 250 has more than enough power for me. In fact, I tried the fast throttle yesterday and it really woke it up. Perfect for big steps and stuff but I went back to the slow for the tighter/slippery stuff. 

I've had a quick go on an older 280 and could immediately tell that the bike felt heavier to ride and much more grunty. For clubman level, I honestly can't see anyone needing more than a 250. Most people say the 300 is far too much unless you are seriously good. 

• Like 1

Well,

I bought a nice clean 250... Felt good on the short test run :) Maybe less jammy than the GG 280, but still nice and easy to make the front end levitate.

Ive already requested pricing on the goodies to go up in displacement (Thinking 280) but we shall see! Maybe I will like it as is.

No rides yet, but I will report back this week.?

• Like 1

So, update!

Ive had a chance to take the 250 out. Like it so far, brakes are top notch. Front end is really light feeling, almost skating a bit but its probably my body position.

Going to try some hardrocks instead of the curves, feel like it pitches me forward. 

Definitely going to bump it up to 280cc though.. The grunt isn't quite where I would like it. Possibly to 300? If anyone has experience with 280 vs 300 I would love to hear it!

I know, that's another thread haha!