TRS E-bike

dan williams

I'm trying to find the spec/price for the trs bike as I have a feeling the bike is fairly low spec but higher price than the equivalent from a "proper" e-mtb brand. The components look similar to the Orbea Wild FS H30 which is about £4000. In fact, I think it could be a rebranded Orbea.

I'm seriously considering an e-mtb at the moment and would quite like the TRS but not if I'm paying over the odds for it. 

Edited by al_orange

I can only see the 2019 TRS online.  It is not the same as the Orbea, the frame shapes are slightly different.  That said you probably could ride them back to back and not really notice the difference.  A lot of the eMTB trade on brand loyalty (KTM have a range for example).  But really brand loyalty in the MTB world is to a MTB brand like Scott not to a motorcycle brand, so the motorcycle ones tend to be aimed at a much more limited market.

Many years ago the bicycle world moved to mass production of frames in Taiwan.  There are - I think - three (maybe more now?) huge factories there that produce the frames for nearly everything in the world.  They churn out cheap junk and top end stuff, just alter the tooling and you can have whatever you want.  The real top end stuff tends to be "designed" somewhere else with prototypes made (by hand) somewhere else but very very little is made commercially anywhere else - it just is not cost effective.

The rest of the bike is SRAM or Shimano.  SRAM bought Rockshox a couple of years back or so and are gradually becoming the standard in terms of forks.  People still love Fox but the new Rockshox stuff is as good to be honest.

The issue is therefore whether you want to pay for brand loyalty or not.  There are some very good eMTB out there that are smaller brands which do not attract the premium price of a Scott or for that matter a TRS.  The TRS looks nice and would match your bike (and mine - I would like one too) but beyond that it is just another Taiwanese frame and Chinese made components.  I am sure it would ride nicely, but then they pretty much all do.  Read some reviews and you soon realise that the "big" differences are all but irrelevant for us mere mortals.  Unless you are a very capable rider the bike will generally out perform the operator.

The TRS bike looks nice and will be bought by people for whom that is the key factor.  I like the look of it and want one but my budget is not unlimited and any new push bike will be a regular bike to replace my current elderly machine (Scott) that is now an old heap of junk even though it was over three grand just a few years ago.  The problem with nice looking is that they don't stay like that long (if you actually ride it).

• Like 1

All good points. The 2020 TRS looks very different to the 2019. I believe the 2019 was a rebadged Focus. 

Personally, I so want my toys to look nice but not at the expense of performance (even though I'm not good on a trials bike and even worse on a MTB...). 

Also, TRS are a too brand in the trials world but I can imagine the MTB world asking "what the hell is a TRS?". 

All credit to TRS though, I wish them well and am right behind the brand, not least because I want them to grow and remain successful. I'm not 100% impressed with my TRS but at the moment I can't see me switching brands.