New Bikes

midlife

What are the trials bike makers going to do.

I would think there will still be a lot of 2020 models unsold out there ,will they  bring out a 2021 model (new stickers) or not.

Edited by midlife

Good question.

When we lost most of 2001 to foot and mouth I didnt think the dealers would be able to sell new bikes but after a few trials in autumn 2002 people were turning up with 2002 models. 

It's a bit a different now as practice places are already opening so a few people will be ready for a new bike come autumn.

Some manufacturers never changed bikes for years, Yamaha,  scorpa with Yam engine,  4rt and many others. I'm sure they could convert an unsold 2020 to 2021 spec for not much money. Even if they dont theres nothing like a new bike

• Like 1

I think we will have to wait a bit longer and see how much longer things are shut down across Europe as a whole.  The UK importers might well have a bit of an overstock and so there could be some good deals as we get near the model change.  If the mainland stays shut down then the actual manufacturers might be in bother.  Plus the added possibility of a second outbreak and second shutdown.

I don't know how it works with bikes but certainly with other products the manufacturers force the importers/dealers to take new stuff whether or not they have sold the old stock.  If so then the old stock will get sold off cheaply.  Also lots of machines are supplied on a fairly long time to pay but once the dealer has to find the money the item has to be sold quickly or find the cash.  This could also mean some heavy discounts.

This year could well be a good time to trade up.  But of course if lots of us do then the trade in will be worth less.