Can I install a headlight to a Bultaco Sherpa S cross

Jaime

Hello there, I recently bought a Bultaco cross motorcycle 1970 Sherpa S model.

It has three wires running out of the engine left  cover and it goes directly to a red box which I assume is the starting coil because it goes to the spark plug cap. So here it goes, my question is if I can install a headlight and a back light without modifying anything inside the engine.

I thank you in advance for any reply, Jaime.

DCD2DE66-EC11-4968-9E34-64DFA16DD13B.jpeg

B1F00D1C-BECE-4EF8-A220-32B9A5BB2E56.jpeg

If it has the original setup inside the magneto cover, probably not, but you would have to remove the magneto cover to have a look to know if it is original and to know if it has a lighting coil.

Another thing you could do, to help people help you, is to mention what digits the engine number starts with so the motor can be better identified.

No, Jaime. The Sherpa S was an out and out competition model. You could fit a points plate and flywheel from  say a Lobito or Alpina to get lights. Your best bet is to contact Lynn and Dorothy Mobley across in Minden Nevada. They handle a lot of secondhand Bultaco Spares, and can give you best advice on this. What is your intended use ? If for off road an Alpina would be far better I reckon. 

• Like 1

Thanks a lot for your reply Mr. Johnjsy, I will try to contact these friendly couple in Nevada. In the meantime I will continue riding it while I am restoring the little beauty. Have a great day!

On 5/27/2020 at 1:53 AM, feetupfun said:

If it has the original setup inside the magneto cover, probably not, but you would have to remove the magneto cover to have a look to know if it is original and to know if it has a lighting coil.

Another thing you could do, to help people help you, is to mention what digits the engine number starts with so the motor can be better identified.

Thanks a lot for your help Feetupfun I will post up the series number later. And if I take the magneto cover, I am looking for two coils or how should I know if it has a light coil? 

Thanks again!

17 hours ago, Jaime said:

Thanks a lot for your help Feetupfun I will post up the series number later. And if I take the magneto cover, I am looking for two coils or how should I know if it has a light coil? 

Thanks again!

Yes, you would need to find a stator coil in there that is not part of your ignition system.

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/28/2020 at 12:52 PM, Jaime said:

Thanks again!

Hi your Sherpa s has femsatronic electronic ignition , no points , condenser , lighting coils or any serviceable parts . if you want to run lights you will need a complete points ignition or a femsatronic off a lobito  .From what I can tell its a 100cc Sherpa s and on some of those the crankshaft taper was a smaller size to the bigger engines so be aware of what you may purchase .Easiest way is to give Lynn mobley a call as he will point you in the right direction