Got to ride my bike soon

rileys

If it is old fuel, drain off, mix up new. Squirt brake cleaner, or rocket 40 or similar down the carb. If the timing is right, it will fire. No choke when doing this. Hope this helps......Ps. Do this outside, burnt brake cleaned fumes are rather nasty, avoid breathing !  

Yes thanks for the reply’s. great bit of kit from in motion. Should be plug in and start. Went in garage for a few hours today. The woodruff key is not needed Carl.

and as Johnjsy said if the timing is right it will fire. So I had to alter it just a little bit and it started up happy days. Again thanks for the reply’s picture of my 158 

3292972B-7A4B-4DC0-B27F-3581E8C73548.jpeg

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, rileys said:

The woodruff key is not needed

Why do you think that ? The key is needed otherwise how can the flywheel be positioned in the correct place.  The ignition comes pre-set for the flywheel positioned on the key. I'm assuming you have the back plate positioned correctly with the 'T' at the top (coil should be on the left as you look at it)  If the flywheel is completely out of position at 180 degrees out it will still produce a spark, but won't fire the engine. If you're not using the key it sounds as though the flywheel wasn't positioned correctly when it wouldn't start but after you altered the timing (assuming by moving the stator on the small allen bolts) it seems likely that when you re-fitted the flywheel you got it somewhere about where it should be so the engine fired. With the electronic ignition, with the flywheel correctly seated on the key you can set the stator in any of the available positions on the back plate and the engine will run on all of them, so altering the timing by moving the stator is a red herring and not the reason it's now running

I'd reset the stator to the position it came as, ensure the 'T' on the back plate is at the top and refit the flywheel on the key to give correct timing. It should run no problem like thiis

• Like 4

Whoops 

yes the back plate was in correct place I had the flywheel set on the key and no start and back fire 

so was checking other posts that said key not needed. So took it out and altered the stata. And fired up. Did I just get lucky 

and should I put the key back in and try again woody ?

l know I’m a bit green but love spending time with the bike and learning from you guys 

I can only guess at what happened but with the electronic ignition, if it is installed in the correct position and with the flywheel located on the key, the engine will run with the stator set at any of the positions on the small allen bolts. However, the standard setting is as it comes, you just bolt it on, set the flywheel on the key, connect the wires and the engine will run

If you don't use the key the flywheel can go on in any position and it is just luck if it is positioned correctly

Condenser is only required for points, not the electronic kit

• Like 1

As has been said you definitely need the woodruff key to locate the flywheel correctly, maybe you have installed the backing plate incorrectly , ie out by one or two screws or 120 degrees. It can be mounted in three different positions and from memory the wires exit on the left hand side and the 'coil' is vertical on the left hand side. Please correct me if I am wrong but that's how I remember it.

Cheers Greg

• Like 1