TY 250A cracks in clutch basket- Advice?

Tillerman6

So with this teardown and inspection- looks like there are cracks in the clutch basket.  And looking at the examples on Ebay, this is a very common problem.  Every example on ebay has at least one crack visible, and there are about 5 examples for sale on there right now.  Mine looks exactly like most of them, and I'm not sure how to post pictures on here, so if you want to check out what I'm talking about, just go to Ebay and look for ty250 clutch baskets.  The crack I noticed first goes directly thru the "9" that is moulded into the part number.  Mine is exactly cracked in the identical same place!  There is also a crack in the flat steel smooth ring on the other side near the thru hole.  None of the ebay examples even show the back side, so I can't show you pics of that, but do you think I need a different clutch basket, or is this a non-issue?

I don't think the basket will explode due to high revs, and it has 3 strong rivets that hold it together, but I'm not sure what to do about the "problem" if anything can be done.  The clutch was acting a bit strange before the teardown, but that was not the most serious problem (vibration) so I figured that I would check it out later.  Well later is now.  What is your experiance with this problem and how did you deal with it?

I would almost bet anyone that if they have a TY 250 and they take all the clutch plates out of it they will see cracks in the aluminum housing (basket).  There seems to be no easy source of new parts for this eitherr.?

They aren't fatigue cracks. If you look around, you will see the same sort of marks in other parts of the engine that were made the same way (die casting).

You are not the first person to think that they are cracks.

I wish I could be sure. There is another one in the steel ring on the back side that worries me a bit more.  Can't tell if it goes all the way thru the part or not.

I might have it magnafluxed,  Its not too pretty.  But all the ones I see on Ebay are also cracked on the inside. Just don't know if the cracks go all the way thru.

On the other hand, I've never heard of one exploding.  Might not shift properly, but never exploded (that I know of)???

I cast aluminum myself and I know what casting lines look like and what cracks look like- they look similar at first glance, but magnified about 50 times and you can tell the difference.  Not much I can do about it, but I will shoot some pics with my new microscope tomorrow and post them for you.

2 hours ago, Tillerman6 said:

I wish I could be sure. There is another one in the steel ring on the back side that worries me a bit more.  Can't tell if it goes all the way thru the part or not.

I might have it magnafluxed,  Its not too pretty.  But all the ones I see on Ebay are also cracked on the inside. Just don't know if the cracks go all the way thru.

On the other hand, I've never heard of one exploding.  Might not shift properly, but never exploded (that I know of)???

I cast aluminum myself and I know what casting lines look like and what cracks look like- they look similar at first glance, but magnified about 50 times and you can tell the difference.  Not much I can do about it, but I will shoot some pics with my new microscope tomorrow and post them for you

Have fun, but don't do it for my benefit. I've been through this particular hoop many times already

• 3 years later...

My clutch basket appeared to have a crack/ casting flaw that ran right through the cast in markings. I ordered another off of eBay. When it arrived it had the EXACT same crack/ flaw. Right up to the rivet in the exact same place. I've been running it ever since (4 years).