Newbie help

Warren63

I am looking to switch to Trails but living in Tennessee it limits my options to used bikes. I have found some used Gas Gas in Georgia but have been reading they have had issues in 2014 with crank bearings. is this true and should I be looking for Beta,Montesa or other brands? Thanks.

Yes there was some 2014's that had bearing issues.  Unless your already a 4T guy I would say most people prefer the 2T bikes when compared back to back so where Montesa's are very reliable and great bikes being an EFI 4T you might find you like a Beta, Sherco, Scorpa, TRRS (TRS), Vertigo, or Gas Gas 2T better as far as the engine feel is concerned.  I like the 4T's and really like the Beta and Montesa 4T's myself (Have a Montesa 300RR) but that is preference. 

If the only bikes in the aria was a 2014 Gas Gas and it was me I would likely work with a dealer to find a good used bike and have it shipped if there wasn't one close.  And I think I would go Beta or TRRS, but that is me and very much opinion. 

As someone who JUST went through this, I honestly wouldn't worry about "issues" a particular bike might have.  Depending on your budget, you're not likely to have a whole showroom full of bikes to choose from.  I certainly didn't.  

Myself, I ended up with a 20 year old Beta 270 with leaking fork seals, a broken rear fender, and the dreaded cold stick clutch, and I still haven't been able to track down a manual for the bike or the inverted forks. 

However, the price was right and it was more or less local.  Any other option was more than double the price, and easily just as far, if not farther away.  I was even able to roll in picking the bike up on the way home from doing some field work.  I also just got lucky.  I happened to be looking for a bike in the right place at the right time.  I've been toying with the idea of a trials bike for probably a couple of years now...  And this one practically fell in my lap.

A couple hundred bucks (mostly for the fender) later, and a little time, and my bike is ready to ride.  Not bad for $2000, if I say so myself.

As a beginner, having the most modern gear, or the "perfect" bike isn't going to amount to a hill of beans worth of a difference.  Most "issues" are fixable, and it usually doesn't take that long to research them when you find a bike that might fit the bill. If you know about a particular issue, like bad bearings, use that to your advantage when negotiating.  Talk with the seller for 5 minutes and you'll get an idea if they've dealt with the issue or the motor is ready to explode.

20200601_181103.thumb.jpg.4b865436bc4b5db35e691582e1b83fd7.jpg

I wouldnt let the bearing issue sway too much. It was a very limited batch as far as i remember (i had a 2014 and only heard about the bearing issue years later) if the bike has lasted 6 years it will either have had ok bearings at the time or the originals replaced. Even so its not a total deal breaker.

2 hours ago, Warren63 said:

Thanks for the replies. The bike I am looking at is a 2014 Gas Gas TXT Pro for $3800. They are the original owner and claims it barely ridden. It is a little drive but might be worth it.

Can they send you a video with it running?The clutch will rattle till you pull it in which is normal,should be quietish apart from that.If it looks tidy go for it,they're a good proven bike with good spares availability.The current model isn't much different 

16 hours ago, b40rt said:

@jbrandt, I'd replace the fender mounting bolts with cable ties if possible.

Yeah, I'll probably do something like that.  The problem is that the right side mount is integrated into the exhaust mount, and the air box cover also bolts to the fender.

My plan so far is just not to crash. (lol) 

I'd like to see if I could adapt a new fender style to this bike.  Seems like the new(er) fenders are made of a WAY more flexible plastic.  I've seen the bend in half and not break.

Maybe, I am 195 and my daughter rides a 125... based on riding hers quite a bit I would say that it would depend on a few things before I would recommend a 125 for anyone around the 200 mark. 

1. How much past bike experience you have? If a lot you might want to consider a 200-250. 
  2. Your altitude, if your 5k feet or more I would go bigger. 
  3. If your going to ride a lot of big hills (consider 200-250)
  4. If your already into to big enduro bikes (300 2T and 450-5004T bikes) you would want to consider bigger

This is a few things that would make me consider a bigger bike than a 125...

On the other side of the fence I love playing on her 125, there isn't a lot of things I can do on my bigger bike that can't do on her bike.  As we are at around 3k feet altitude it seems to have decent power even for chucking me up some decent size stuff (but I do have to wind it out a bit to do so). It feels so light, so it provides a lot of great fun...

Hope that helps. 

I have been in and off dirt and street bikes all my life. I now have a Suzuki Drz 125l 4 stroke which seems to haul my big butt around pretty good. I am less than a 1000ft in altitude so it should be good. What I am trying to keep from is buying one then wished I have gone bigger. Where I live used trials bikes are few and far between.

On 6/7/2020 at 2:02 PM, Warren63 said:

I have been in and off dirt and street bikes all my life. I now have a Suzuki Drz 125l 4 stroke which seems to haul my big butt around pretty good. I am less than a 1000ft in altitude so it should be good. What I am trying to keep from is buying one then wished I have gone bigger. Where I live used trials bikes are few and far between.

Yeah, like I said above, that was my problem too.  Not many used bikes, especially in my price range...  I pretty much bought the first bike that I saw that was within 100 miles of me.

I'd say if you find one that is in good condition, don't pass on it, even if it might be "undersized".  Better to ride an undersized bike, than no bike at all while you wait for that "perfect" bike.

I found very early on that having an under powered bike makes you a better rider because you are forced to focus on your riding skills. With a big bike you just hammer the throttle and hang on.

Pretty rare up here in upper peninsula of Michigan also.I just sold my 2015 gg pro that is in great shape 2 days ago to a man in Lower Michigan. Last week a guy came all the way from Missouri to Wisconsin to pick up a friend's GG 250.I actually went to Missouri over 2 years ago to buy my GG.A good place to ask around is the Facebook site called trials bikes for sale usa.That is were I found my 1st trials bike and were my friend sold his.Good luck shopping.