Bike Advice

adyseeley

Hi all 

New member and looking for advice on what engine size bike to go for i last did trisal on a ty 175 and been doing enduro,s the last 10 years on 300 and 250 2t due to an injury going to have to sell my current 250 2t enduro and planning on going back to trials that i last did 30 years ago 

Planning on riding novice class for a while after lots of practice but unsure as to what cc would best suit ,any advice welcome .

I guess that depends on what's available in your budget.  Are you looking for new or used?  I don't know about the market in your area, but in my area (northern California), there's not much of a used trials market.  Even with a pretty extensive club in the area, I had trouble finding much, if any used bikes that were under $5-6k

I lucked out, and found a Beta Rev3 270.  Practically fell in my lap.  Coming from an air cooled 250 4-stroke trail bike, is a 270 2-stroke for my first trials bike ideal?  Probably not, but it's what there was for sale within 100 miles of me, and the price was right.

unless your riding at very high altitude or are a large person there isn't any need to go bigger than a 250 and many like the Beta 200's even over a 250.  Based on your experience with enduro going to a 300 will likely not be a problem at all and if you like the lower end grunt a 300 might feel better. 

I like the feel and ride of my Montesa 300 better than my older Montesa 250 but I don't think I do any better on it than the 250.  Because I like the feel of the engine and the suspension better on the 300 I prefer it but really don't need that much bike. 

A note: In my 10+ years riding modern trials bikes; I know several riders, some much more experienced than myself, who have gone down to 250's and find they do better in competition on the 250's v's the 300's...

I know this is just my 2 cents but hope it helps...

Edited by jonnyc21
  • Like 1

Dependent on age of the bike you want, get a Beta 200, best for returning to trials.

A late model, TYZ engined Scorpa, nice soft useable power is also very forgiving and will put a big smile on your face and still be competitive.

Modern 250's and above, unless your intermediate to expert status, are of no use to returning riders or clubman/novice riders. Too quick to light up and can be a handful and, like the wife, very unforgiving!

• Like 1

I’d say go 250 every time. There’s a temptation to ‘go large’ for many riders who already have experience of riding other disciplines, but really, as others have also said, unless you’re going straight out to ride huge steps etc then a 250 is plenty powerful enough to learn or re-learn, the technicalities. I had twenty years off and coming back to the sport the bikes are so much different (and some rules !) that’s it’s a totally different game. Also, if you find the 250 too soft after a while it’ll probably easier to trade up (in terms of losing value) than if you go the other way round.

incidentally, I see you’re in Norfolk but did you grow up in South Yorkshire ? Name & rough age age match the brother of an old mate.

For UK trials, a late model 250 is the tool. 300's for expert riders riding the harder courses. Many fall for the bigger engine, invariably find it a bit too much, & then spend a small fortune attempting to soften the power. 

• Like 1