Reduce power of beta evo 290

Johneyt

Hello, i'm new to trials ideally  want a 250, but 290's and 300's are a lot better value and cheaper second hand, can you reduce the power any way to make them easier for a beginner.  I'm looking at a beta evo 290 2011.

I have road bike experience,  I know this is totally different to trials but i do know how to ride a bike.

Thanks for help.

By the time you have spent all this extra on turning it into something it was not designed to be would it not make more sense just to buy what you want in the first place?  2011 is an old bike and so probably needs a few things doing.  Add up the cost of that plus your softening modifications and I don't see what you are gaining if price is the issue.  After a while you will have gained some experience and start thinking about taking the modifications off.  More faff and expense.

I bought an old bike to start off and the first thing you realise is the previous 23 owners did not know a spanner from a gerbil.  You tidy up this bit, that bit and the other bit.  Now it is half decent.  But the cost of the tidy up is probably not very far from the difference between a better bike and the cheaper one, unless the one you are looking at is super cheap.  If it is a mate doing you a favour great, otherwise it is cheap for a reason.

Just my way of looking at things.  There are other perspectives.

If you’ve not ridden off road before or done any trials, do not overlook a 125. It’ll teach you plenty and not punish you for mistakes. Being a 125 doesn’t mean it’s rubbish. Leave the ego at home and learn some basics quicker and easier.....then get what you’d really like after a bit more experience?

22 hours ago, Johneyt said:

Hello, i'm new to trials ideally  want a 250, but 290's and 300's are a lot better value and cheaper second hand, can you reduce the power any way to make them easier for a beginner.  I'm looking at a beta evo 290 2011.

I have road bike experience,  I know this is totally different to trials but i do know how to ride a bike.

Thanks for help.

What's your budget?Wouldnt recommend a 290 Beta as a first bike,unless it's cheap and in good condition If you're anything of a mechanic you could calm it down with the suggested methods,not so good if you have to pay someone to sort it out.Youd be better off with the best condition 250 you can afford,Beta or Gas gas

I bought a 250 4t, fantastic starter bike that is so capable, as I improve the bike is still delivering plenty, if you can find one consider it or .200, buy a good bike not a cheap bike, £££save in the long run

If you are like me, you don't really have a lot to choose from when looking at used bikes. 

I recently bought a 2000 Beta 270 as my first trials bike. Would I have liked maybe a newer 4 stroke with a smaller engine?  Sure, but there weren't any that were anywhere near my price range.  If I would have seen a 125 for sale in my area in my price range, I probably would have taken a look at it, too. 

Yes, sounds like my problem, anything reasonably priced in the  £1500-2000 bracket that is in good condition goes really quickly or is 200+ miles away, and that bargain everyone else gets is never there when you are looking.

I have been watching the bikes market on ebay for some time.  There are no "cheap" bikes and have not been for a very long while.  When I bought the TRS (John Lee) the sales guy said the "middle market" did not exist any more.  What was old rubbish is now the bottom end and it is £1,500 upwards.  I have not noticed any price hike since the lockdown if I am honest, but there are fewer bikes advertised (sensible as you are not allowed to go look).

Personally I think you have to realistically look at three grand as a start point.  If you buy something cheaper it probably will end up near that when you have fixed it.  Just how it is.

On the upside whatever you end up selling benefits from the situation.  So a three grand bike is still worth two grand after a few years of being beaten up.