Gas Gas 2017 fuel tank leak

Flooky

Hi, my sons txt racings fuel tank is leaking from the spigot that the the fuel tap pushes into.

I thought it was the tap but its the spout/spigot that the tap pushes into.

On further inspection it is threaded into the tank with a bonding agent at the factory, the part is not available a on its own it comes as part of a new tank.  I was wondering if anybody else has had this happen and what you used to seal it ? I have ordered some JB weld plastic bond which is apparently fuel resistant, but any other ideas would be very welcome. cheers.

Edited by Flooky

What is the tank made of? I would be tempted to solder it if it's steel and if it's aluminium then use one of those low temp ally weld sticks and a gas torch, either way you need to flush the tank out thoroughly to remove fumes and fuel. I have had this issue loads of times with vintage gas tanks on old farm engines and repaired without issues.

Used JB weld on mine when it had the same problem.It held for the 2 years I had the bike.You have to get the area really clean,I scuffed it up then zapped it with brake cleaner

4 hours ago, misscrabstick said:

What is the tank made of? I would be tempted to solder it if it's steel and if it's aluminium then use one of those low temp ally weld sticks and a gas torch, either way you need to flush the tank out thoroughly to remove fumes and fuel. I have had this issue loads of times with vintage gas tanks on old farm engines and repaired without issues.

plastic tank so not really an option, but thanks

2 hours ago, huski said:

Used JB weld on mine when it had the same problem.It held for the 2 years I had the bike.You have to get the area really clean,I scuffed it up then zapped it with brake cleaner

cheers, what JB weld did you use ? standard or plastic bond, I have got standard but ordered jb weld plastic bond thinking it would be better.

3 hours ago, huski said:

Hi,I used the normal one,not realising there was an alternative.Id use the plastic one,can't be worse

cheers, I will.

did you unscrew the fitting and jb weld the threads or just smear it around the rim with it screwed in ?

Edited by Flooky

2 hours ago, mbeers6 said:

I had same issue with mine, dealer suggested and I have used TWICE now 3M windshield adhesive (black colored). Just get the area totally clean and free from gas/oil like the prior person said. 

https://www.3m.com/3M/en_US/company-us/all-3m-products/~/3M-Auto-Glass-Urethane-Windshield-Adhesive/?N=5002385+3293242009&rt=rud

great idea, I think I have got some but maybe not 3m. cheers good call

10 minutes ago, Flooky said:

cheers, I will.

did you unscrew the fitting and jb weld the threads or just smear it around the rim with it screwed in ?

On mine the tap was held in with a hose clip and ju st pushed in.I removed the tap for easier access

• 1 year later...