New bike choices???

retromlc

I tentatively put my 2013 BETA Evo 250 4t up for sale and a mate bought it. I'm giving up enduro so selling my Husky 250tpi 2018. 

I want to focus more on trials but would like the option to occasionally maybe enter an enduro or do a play day mainly for a ride and the social which is important to me. My bike choices are a MONTESA 4 RT probably a Repsol and perhaps fit a long range kit when needed or this TRS x-track in 250cc, and have a slim tank to fit for the trials. My riding will mainly be trials. I know the play/enduro will be a compromise but my red mist racing days are behind me.

I like the 4/ chuggability but the beta 250 4/ was really good but lacked the instant drive you get with a 2/. Otherwise it was spot on

What's your thoughts??? 

For what you're after I'd go for the Montesa all day long... I had a repsol and the one thing I loved most about it was the blasts between sections, so much fun. You only have to look at how well they go in long distance trials like the Scottish. You could even go for a 300rr which would give you even more grunt for the occasional enduro play but still perfectly controllable when riding trials.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The MONTESA is where I'm thinking, loved the 4/ engine but would like a bit more off the throttle response, which I believe the mont has, I had a play in a car park (dirt) for a few minutes and felt at home, seemed easier to balance as well

If you want a bit more throttle response then I agree go with the Montesa, in my opinion my 300 RR has quite a bit more instant response than my buddies Beta 300 I got a chance to ride.  I will say you might also want to swap from the black throttle tube to the white on what ever Montesa you get if you want it to feel more responsive.  I did the white tube swap on my 300 RR and it was well worth it in my opinion. 

Edited by jonnyc21
  • Like 2

So I think I have decided on the MONTESA, a new one as there seems to be genuine improvement over last year's, I've read they have dropped some carbon goodii, anyone know what they cut from the 2020 over the 2019. But the final question is is the Repsol worth £1000 more than the standard 4rt? , Suspension can make a bike much more confident and enjoyable, also I'd the S3 gasser pipe worth the £££  ,I probably don't need it, well I don't but if it improves all round engine it's maybe worth the investment to have a finished bike?? 

1 hour ago, retromlc said:

So I think I have decided on the MONTESA, a new one as there seems to be genuine improvement over last year's, I've read they have dropped some carbon goodii, anyone know what they cut from the 2020 over the 2019. But the final question is is the Repsol worth £1000 more than the standard 4rt? , Suspension can make a bike much more confident and enjoyable, also I'd the S3 gasser pipe worth the £££  ,I probably don't need it, well I don't but if it improves all round engine it's maybe worth the investment to have a finished bike?? 

The rear shock of a standard is the primary bit I am not fond of so, you could spend a bit less on a standard and replace the rear with a TPR and it would make it a lot closer in comparison.  Then again that is another $600 US so...

Also, having been on a 2017 standard, an 2014 Repsol and my 2017 300RR, I personally think that with the TPR comparison the Showa suspension is worth the $1K upgrade over the standard unless you want to ride the standard for a year or two before upgrading/changing anything. 

As for the S3 pipe, I wouldn't bother with that unless your going to go all the way to the point of a programmable throttle body, but I have heard that it can still improve the feel of the bike without the ECU upgrade. But this isn't experience talking...

Edited by jonnyc21
  • Like 1

Cheers Jonnyc21, I would prefer to have it right, spoke to a guy who has a 4rt and fitted a showa unit, says a massive improvement, he also fitted compression to the fork's, better to have it all from the beginning rather than start chasing improvement, I'm a low level rider but a well sorted bike is a better start ?

• Like 1

It is almost as important to understand what you can do to a bike to alter it to suit YOU and your riding style. Trials and trails are very different set up.

I would be spending any spare$ i had on speaking or getting someone to show me how to set the bike up. If you can ride it fast the set up will be a million miles away from sections in a creek for example.

I've been riding trials casually for about 5 years, the last 3 more so, I just sold a BETA Evo 250 4/ which was lovely and even better with an ohlins fitted. I have ridden several 2/ over the last few weeks and tbh apart from the TRS one-R (2016) I preferred my 4/. So I think the 4/ is my target engine. My riding is really smooth woods with some chalky mud when wet so grip low speed grip is important, it's not rocky here but slippery off camber and tight sections thru woods are the general round here

• Like 1

So I finally made a decision, a nice lightly used 2020 Repsol. Initial impressions are good, compared to the BETA Evo 250 4/ the engine feels stronger off the bottom which was the main thing I was looking for, finish it .... Well Honda ??? seem to be able to find the static balance easier, hopefully have a good go on Saturday

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, retromlc said:

So I finally made a decision, a nice lightly used 2020 Repsol. Initial impressions are good, compared to the BETA Evo 250 4/ the engine feels stronger off the bottom which was the main thing I was looking for, finish it .... Well Honda ??? seem to be able to find the static balance easier, hopefully have a good go on Saturday

Would never have considered a 4T trials bike but having had a tiny go on a 301RR, they are something else. Not sure if I'd get on with it but the engineering and the finish is very good. Really smart bit of kit. I bet the repsol is really nice too. 

It's lovely finish, I guess you adapt to it, I'm hoping to gel quickly  as i had the Evo 4/ as my only trials bike. If it's like my old bike with a bit more initial off the throttle response then I'll be happy, chassis feels good, there're not 2/ light but I'm used to that

Edited by retromlc