Free Acu Licence's For Club Organisers

atomant

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is that really true?

The ACU charges club secretaries, treasurers etc a tenner for the privilege of working for free for your club?

Not exactly charge but indirectly yes I suppose (although it appears its not the same for all clubs)
If so why the hell does any club pay?

Damn good question.

I must agree that the ACU shouldn't charge hard working volunteers for putting on events which benefits the ACU.

Unfortunately, putting this in place would be costly and time consuming.

Can you imagine how many people would consider themselves workers when the Registration fee was due?

Many people help out at some point during the year.... Observing at a National, setting out a club trial, going to the ACU licencing seminar, collecting the markers in at the end of a trial. etc etc.

If every single person then got free registration, income to the ACU would drop sharply.

Lets not kid ourselves about this..... it would be us that makes up the shortfall. Plus the added cost of administration.

I realise that "without us hard working volunteers, there would be no trials" but we must remember that no one forces us to do it and unless we go on strike, the ACU has no motivation to treat us any differently.

And that will never happen... or will it?

I personally think that the ACU's policy/guidance on Risk Assessment is a much, much bigger worry to anyone who organises trials at the moment but that's another story.

I must agree that the ACU shouldn't charge hard working volunteers for putting on events which benefits the ACU.

Can you imagine how many people would consider themselves workers when the Registration fee was due?

Thats why I said in a post above that it could work on a sliding scale on the basis of how much revenue your club raises. More revenue, more rebate.

But theres probally many ways on how it could work. Im very much a positive thinker, If the idea is right then I find a way to make it work.

I realise that "without us hard working volunteers, there would be no trials" but we must remember that no one forces us to do it and unless we go on strike, the ACU has no motivation to treat us any differently.
You are so right, no-one forces us to do it so what is the motivation?. Why do you do it? Why does anyone do it? I would say that a significant number do it because they have sibling/s involved in the sport (now or at some point) and they do it for them.

Thats why I said in a post above that it could work on a sliding scale on the basis of how much revenue your club raises. More revenue, more rebate.

But theres probally many ways on how it could work. Im very much a positive thinker, If the idea is right then I find a way to make it work.

Yes, but the admin costs of this would be considerable and it would come back to us to pay for it.

I also know one club that puts on excellent trials with large entries who have just three workers. We are lucky, we have perhaps 20 regular helpers. How could this be made fair?

How about the Clerks of the Courses having to travel to Rugby from all over the country to be licenced. Who should pay for their expenses/time?

I agree with what you say but would hate it to become another beurocratic problem for us to pay-for/administer.

Edited by scorpa3

Hi,

After reading all the opinions on this subject (some good and some bad} i have this to say. Trials riding is a cheap sport after you have spent all your cash on the big bits, as in the bike, boots, helmet, etc then i think you are trying to rob Peter to pay Paul and this will only put the price up some where else for the riders. If you want to save a tenner then try a different sport like window shopping.

Glyn :P

Edited by glyn

Hi,

After reading all the opinions on this subject (some good and some bad} i have this to say.  Trials riding is a cheap sport after you have spent all your cash on the big bits, as in the bike, boots, helmet, etc then i think you are trying to rob Peter to pay Paul and this will only put the price up some where else for the riders. If you want to save a tenner then try a different sport like window shopping.

Glyn  :P

So how much of your time & effort do you give freely to enable others to enjoy their days sport?

Where do you draw the line ? before you know it anyone with an interest in the club would be getting a free licence. lots of folks with lots of different pastimes do it for the love of it......if your going to do it but then moan about it maybe you shouldn't be doing it in the first place. :P

Where do you draw the line ? before you know it anyone with an interest in the club would be getting a free licence. lots of folks with lots of different pastimes do it for the love of it......if your going to do it but then moan about it maybe you shouldn't be doing it in the first place. :P

The tenner is insignificant as a proportion of the money we paid last year to the ACU, its only 0.5%.

I'm not moaning either, I like doing the club stuff. Its just there seems to me there is an imbalance in the finances and I have proposed a way in which to address that.

By all means suggest another if you dont feel its appropriate?

OK you've got several issues here and some have become confused

a few years ago upon joining a club part of your club membership fee was sent to the ACU HQ

under the membership reform package by Geoff Wilson (wow that must be over 5 years ago now) this was abolished. so a member of a club isn't automatically an ACU member

now to compete in any motorcycle form you need a licence (OK trials affiliation) which require membership of an ACU club to start with.

this leaves the black hole of officials (who presumably are club members) who are now not ACU members. for an obscure insurance reason i never quiet understood the ACU advised that "senior administrative officials" (there is a list in the national sporting code - basically CofC, etc - not observers) really should be members of the ACU (cheapest option being a trials licence)

now some officials were obviously rightly upset as they didn't compete, volunteer (at significant expense) and were now being asked to stump up a tenner (IIRC initially a fiver)

now some clubs AND/OR centres have offered to pay this tenner on a variety of conditions. my club pays for its ***non competitive*** "senior administrative officials". now my club is big, across 3 areas of the sport but has the money to afford this. IIRC our centre (SEC) line is somewhat different because the centre treasurer has a different opinion (somewhat like AtomAnt's)

the advice from the ACU over senior administrative officials has recently changed :P - but i would check with them (IIRC they would like you to join the ACU).

as for your club membership fees, well thats up to your club. most of our non competitive organiser are either on our (huge) committee or are honorary members (ie free)

its a though and thorny issue, as whatever you do for trials would have to be expanded across the whole ACU, and the other sports are quiet often structured very differently - including some professional promoters, etc, etc - who may not see the case for this

personally even though i "compete" VERY rarely (a handful) and spend most weekends of the year "organising" in some capacity don't think i should be having that as a freebie.

as for honorariums, these aren't universal and are a way of some clubs (and/or centres) of reimbursing some of their officials. its is by no means a professional operation and realistically these payments barley cover fuel, stationary and phone bills. the "labour" part of the charge of all the sports officials would be astronomically high and make the sport uneconomical

rabie ;)