Now it won't start - 2000 Rev3 270

jbrandt

Ok, been doing a little work on my new (to me) 2000 Rev3 270.  Fork seals, new fender, custom spark arrestor, new fuel line, nothing major, certainly nothing major with the engine.

It ran great, started 1st kick most of the time, as long as I gave it the beans.  But now, after I got it all back together, it won't start.  Like it won't even try.  I pulled the plug, it's got spark, and the carb is getting fuel.

I know 2 strokes are stupid simple (although I admit this is my first non weed-eater 2 stroke, lol), so what am I missing?  I can't imagine I've completely clogged up the carb, just from replacing the fuel line (it has an inline filter, too).

THis does bring up another question.  I was going to take the carb off and give it a real good once over on the bench, but I got a little stumped with the throttle cable.  It's got a cap that's threaded on top of the carb that the throttle cable goes into.  What's the trick for removing the cable so I can take the carb to the bench?  I pulled the float bowl off with the cable still attached and there's no signs of buildup, it's rather clean inside! 

Won't start unless, wound open.......(fuel blockage in carb), shouldn't be wound open, full beans to start. Mine used to start, no throttle, just choke when cold, then only slightly cracked open, no choke, when hot.

Remove carb and clean it out, check the fuel filter, I take it it's an in line one, is the right way round ?

With removing the carb, unscrew the top, where the cable goes in, the top with cable and the carb slide will all come out, leaving the carb body in situ, remove that and clean everything, if you can sonic clean it, do. The slide and cable you can disassemble if you want, or just check for damage and use carb cleaner on prior to it going back in, making sure you match up the slide rail notches, you'll see what I mean when you do it.

Good luck, they are simple really, don't loose anything, and if you unscrew anything, make a note of how far in/out it was for when you reassemble!

59 minutes ago, jonboy883 said:

Won't start unless, wound open.......(fuel blockage in carb), shouldn't be wound open, full beans to start. Mine used to start, no throttle, just choke when cold, then only slightly cracked open, no choke, when hot.

Remove carb and clean it out, check the fuel filter, I take it it's an in line one, is the right way round ?

With removing the carb, unscrew the top, where the cable goes in, the top with cable and the carb slide will all come out, leaving the carb body in situ, remove that and clean everything, if you can sonic clean it, do. The slide and cable you can disassemble if you want, or just check for damage and use carb cleaner on prior to it going back in, making sure you match up the slide rail notches, you'll see what I mean when you do it.

Good luck, they are simple really, don't loose anything, and if you unscrew anything, make a note of how far in/out it was for when you reassemble!

Sorry, by "full beans" I meant a good hard kick, not the throttle.  

I did reuse the old in-line filter, but I'm sure it is the right way.  I suppose it could have been backwords before, not sure actually...  

Thanks for the tip on the throttle cable.  I had unscrewed it and tugged on it a bit but it didn't move, so didn't want to force it.

Cheers

Is the plug wet?  I have a fairly new to me 2001 270 easy starter.  I went to Prairie city last weekend and it was a no starter.  There was spark but a wet plug and not even a burp from the engine.  After a plug change and lots of WFO kicking if finally lit and puked a fair amount of gas on the back wheel.  I had forgot and left the petcock open. I wonder if the Mikuni is more sensitive to leaking than others.  

Is the plug dry?  The idle/ pilot circuit in the carb is likely plugged up and requires cleaning.  A crude method to try is, with petcock on, lay the bike on its side for 30 seconds or so to flood the carb.  Stand it up and kick with throttle off and choke on.

I don't know if it makes a difference but I also noticed that a projected tip spark plug is factory recommend the early Rev3 .         

2 hours ago, mcman56 said:

Is the plug wet?  I have a fairly new to me 2001 270 easy starter.  I went to Prairie city last weekend and it was a no starter.  There was spark but a wet plug and not even a burp from the engine.  After a plug change and lots of WFO kicking if finally lit and puked a fair amount of gas on the back wheel.  I had forgot and left the petcock open. I wonder if the Mikuni is more sensitive to leaking than others.  

Is the plug dry?  The idle/ pilot circuit in the carb is likely plugged up and requires cleaning.  A crude method to try is, with petcock on, lay the bike on its side for 30 seconds or so to flood the carb.  Stand it up and kick with throttle off and choke on.

I don't know if it makes a difference but I also noticed that a projected tip spark plug is factory recommend the early Rev3 .         

Yeah, really seems like I have either too much or not enough fuel.  The plug is damp.  I would say it's not soaking wet.

I'm in Carmichael BTW, good to find someone local on here!  I haven't even tried Prairie city yet.  With the DMV closed, I can't get my bike registered (currently an Idaho bike), and AAA won't do out of state registrations. 

On 6/12/2020 at 12:02 PM, carl ekblom said:

If you have the Mikuni carb it may have flood and you ought to clean your crankcase

With Mikuni carb: 1 Always close the petrol tap when parked. 2. Never park the bike pointing downhill. 3 Check the float valve and float level

l

Truth be told I haven't even really ridden it (except a few circles in my yard) since I bought it.  I am in the habit of closing the fuel off, since my other bike tends to leak as well.

By cleaning the crankcase, do you just mean pulling the spark plug and kicking the living daylights out of it at WFO?

When I had flooded the crank case, there was one indication.  While kicking, it kicked back a bit.  I don't remember if this was when it was finally trying to start or not.  It was likely trying to compress some fuel.  In my case, I probably pumped the excess fuel into the exhaust.

Per the posting above, be very careful with any spark.  I once had an 80cc 2 stroke engine filled with gas and you could not even kick it over.  I was in a hurry and did not think about spark.  It spit out a surprisingly large about of gas and caught on fire around the third kick.  It was a good size fire but I had an extinguisher in my truck.  My daughter was about 8 at the time and this was to be her fist ride on a bike with a clutch.  I wish I had a picture of her face when I pointed to the bike covered in black soot and extinguisher powder saying ..you can ride it now.      

On 6/14/2020 at 7:54 AM, mcman56 said:

When I had flooded the crank case, there was one indication.  While kicking, it kicked back a bit.  I don't remember if this was when it was finally trying to start or not.  It was likely trying to compress some fuel.  In my case, I probably pumped the excess fuel into the exhaust.

Per the posting above, be very careful with any spark.  I once had an 80cc 2 stroke engine filled with gas and you could not even kick it over.  I was in a hurry and did not think about spark.  It spit out a surprisingly large about of gas and caught on fire around the third kick.  It was a good size fire but I had an extinguisher in my truck.  My daughter was about 8 at the time and this was to be her fist ride on a bike with a clutch.  I wish I had a picture of her face when I pointed to the bike covered in black soot and extinguisher powder saying ..you can ride it now.      

You know now that you mention it, I have experienced a few mild kickbacks trying to start it.  I hadn't put 2 and 2 together.that makes sense.

Thanks for the tip. 

And yeah, I can imagine the look on your daughter's face.  hilarious!