Beta rev 3 2004ish rear brake

Limmy01

Took the bike to the local shop to have the rear brake bleed, on picking it up they mentioned that it was a right pain to bleed and believed that the bar that goes in the master cylinder was to short.. Went out on the bike on Saturday and the rear brake was hit and miss, some times it worked then nothing,  you could feel through the pedal like something was slipping...

So before I buy one on ebay as they don't tell you the size of the bar, does anyone have one to measure on theirs?

Mine is around 123mm

Cheers Jamie 

20200615_200027.jpg

9 hours ago, billyt said:

I agree with Lineaway on that NOT being an original Beta part.  There is no need for threads running all the way up the push rod.

In fact having threads at the top will damage the seals.

Will order a standard one, probably damaged in the past and someone has made a replacement..

Cheers Jamie

Shouldn't have damaged the seal which is internal to the master cylinder but will destroy the dust cover.

Beta rear brakes are always a pain to bleed. I find it necessary to crack the banjo bolt at the top of the master cylinder as that's where the bubbles settle being the high point of the system. Also, given the flexibility of the disk, you may have to put pressure on the disk to get the pistons on both sides to be equal. What happens is one piston can be out a little more than the other and instead of self centering like they would in a car with a big thick disk the further out piston will push the disk over to the other piston. This makes the brakes soft. The way to check it is to actuate the brake with a finger on the  edge of the disk near the caliper. If you feel the disk move the pads are not properly centered. If it does apply the brake and gently apply pressure opposite to the movement of the disk. Remember you're just pushing the disk back to center. Don't use any kind of tool as you don't want to bend the disk. It might take a few times. The end goal is to be able to apply the brake and not feel the disk deflect but stay centered between the pads.

Edited by dan williams