Rev 3 won't start

Limmy01

Was out last weekend and the bike was faultless till the last hour when she decided to just stop.. 

Got it hope and it started but with a clicking sound and kept cutting out, then she wouldn't start and had no spark. Took it apart and whoever fitted the kill switch was bodged in.. sorted all the wires and did some soldering and the spark is back, rebuilt and she started first time for 6 seconds and now won't start again.. I have a spark also.. 

What do I need to check?

Betas with a trigger coil ignition are notorious for failures in the trigger circuit. The symptoms are similar to what you describe. Runs sometimes. Then won’t start. Then after a while starts but runs crappy. They usually show spark but never enough to get a timing light on it so it could be sparking anywhere in the cycle.  

It’s become the standard recommendation to just send the stator off to a rewinding house to have it checked and usually they will tell you it’s broken. The good news is a rewound stator is cheaper than new and in all cases I have dealt with has fixed the problem permanently. The new bikes don’t use a trigger coil.

So Beta peeps, any recommendation for rewinders? Does West Country still do Beta stators? Looks like trialsport also does rewinding and they have a video of their test jig. Shed engineering at its finest.

Edited by dan williams

7 hours ago, dan williams said:

Betas with a trigger coil ignition are notorious for failures in the trigger circuit. The symptoms are similar to what you describe. Runs sometimes. Then won’t start. Then after a while starts but runs crappy. They usually show spark but never enough to get a timing light on it so it could be sparking anywhere in the cycle.  

It’s become the standard recommendation to just send the stator off to a rewinding house to have it checked and usually they will tell you it’s broken. The good news is a rewound stator is cheaper than new and in all cases I have dealt with has fixed the problem permanently. The new bikes don’t use a trigger coil.

So Beta peeps, any recommendation for rewinders? Does West Country still do Beta stators? Looks like trialsport also does rewinding and they have a video of their test jig. Shed engineering at its finest.

Update,

After drying the plug and heating it up over the cooker, she started faultless.. so now the conundrum is do i carry on and see if it stops again and then get the stator done, or do I do that now and not risk it...

3 hours ago, Limmy01 said:

Update,

After drying the plug and heating it up over the cooker, she started faultless.. so now the conundrum is do i carry on and see if it stops again and then get the stator done, or do I do that now and not risk it...

Hopefully it was just flooded, was the petrol left on ?  If it happens again I'd get it rewound.