Can’t select 4th or 5th gear Rev 3 250

msh7995

Hi all,

I was hoping to get a bit of help as to why I can’t select 4th or 5th gear on my 2004 rev 3 250. Using 15w40 gearbox oil atm but I’m suspecting something more serious and having to strip the bottom end to find the solution. Is there anything obvious I should look for?

First I’d pull the primary drive off including the clutch and with the bike on a stand spin the rear wheel while turning the shift cam to make sure the cam and shift forks are working. Unless you see something obvious you may be forced to split the cases to look for bent or worn shift forks. Beta uses an aluminum shift drum which will wear after long term use. Good luck and let us know what you find.

Not being able to get only two gears makes me think he’ll end up having to split the cases since the external mechanism is the same for all gears. I’ll have to look at the gear diagram to see if there’s a common element to 4th and 5th. I suppose a good question is, What do you mean you can’t select them? Do they just act as neutral or can you not just get out of 3rd or when you upshift the box just rejects the shift. Can you get into 6th? The more info we have the better the debug.

Gear lever is difficult to click up or down into gear from neutral, can sometimes skip from second into third when changing up as well. Can’t seem to select the gears so their not running as false neutrals. 

Geez that sounds like your indexer bearing has fallen off. As weird as it sounds this may be a best case scenario as it sounds like the cam/indexer interface is gone kapow! like a Don Martin cartoon. I think when you get the clutch basket off it'll be pretty obvious. Anything external to the cases is pretty easy to replace.