1977 TY250 Flywheel/Magneto cover needed

MarkFromOttawa

9 hours ago, MarkFromOttawa said:

Thanks for this!

Is this the one...only seems to be one on Ebay...do you know where there a pile of them? ?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vtg-1974-Yamaha-TY250-A-Engine-Motor-Crank-Case-Stator-Magneto-Left-Side-Cover-/163524851765

Yes that's the A model cover. At times I've seen multiples of them advertised concurrently on eBay. Here's another one https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/74-YAMAHA-TY250-TY-250-A-OEM-LEFT-CASE-STATOR-COVER/202894542533?epid=1681129835&hash=item2f3d7506c5:g:Xx4AAOSw6PpeNMHi

feetupforfun thanks for this! I saw them, but the mail is so screwed up right now I dont really want to order anything.....took 6 weeks to get a little parcel across the country and UPS just took almost 2 weeks to go 213km. I am looking at a couple of places..locally. Do all the covers fit? or just the 74A, did they change the cases, or is it just the flywheel width.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, MarkFromOttawa said:

feetupforfun thanks for this! I saw them, but the mail is so screwed up right now I dont really want to order anything.....took 6 weeks to get a little parcel across the country and UPS just took almost 2 weeks to go 213km. I am looking at a couple of places..locally. Do all the covers fit? or just the 74A, did they change the cases, or is it just the flywheel width.

The A model fits yours and the BCDE covers are all the same. Either cover suits either flywheel on any engine. They changed the cover design to make the motor look slimmer after initial criticism of the width of the A model engine and also to help keep the bike at the same weight despite the heavier flywheel. The BCDE cover is magnesium while the A cover is aluminium. Other weight saving changes to keep the weight the same with the later, heavier flywheel were aluminium brake arms, magnesium clutch cover and oil pump cover and an aluminium fuel tank.

If you do get an A model magneto cover, a BCDE model shift lever will probably not suit the shape of the A model cover.

Thanks for this! I am still having a look at it...the previous owner got it running after he got it and replaced the flywheel as it was missing... I am a little worried about being able to turn the motor over so easily with the flywheel, maybe due to the 6.0:1 CR? The bearings feel a little graunchy... I think I might do a proper rebuild rather than riding it around right now. I am planning on taking off all the stuff if I am going to ride it...but the tank is mint, I dont think it has but one tiny little ding! It also has an orphan gear lever, I will have to put a new one on... I was saying to friends, I hardly ever buy a bike that actually runs!

TY250.jpg

Edited by MarkFromOttawa
  • Like 1

Wow that's amazingly original after all the years. Good find and great to see. Thanks for the photo. The absence of external damage and wear makes me think it must have been parked up somewhere for almost its entire life so far. The tyres look like 1970s type.

I bought a TY250 in this sort of condition in 1994 and was amazed at how unused and undamaged it was at the time but that was 26 years ago so yours is even more surprising.