EVO/Super EVO trials

faussy

Has there or is there anything currently regarding an EVO class in trials? Comparing to MX, EVO is anything pre 90ish, and superEVO pre 97ish. EVO i guess would be covered by what we call air cooled mono, but once bikes went water cooled theres nothing really to separate out another class. With 90% of people competing in modern trials on a sub 10 year old bike thats 20 something years of bikes kind of without a class, every bit as large as TS and larger than ACM and pre65. Will there ever be a requirement for another "classic" grade, or does trials just not require as many grades as MX? When/if that time comes, what do you think will be the cutoff, since theres been no big characteristic change in bike design since 90. 2010? or pre GG pro maybe?

Edited by faussy

Not a bad idea, but how do you catagorise them. A '95 Techno or TYZ etc. is a way different beastie to a 2010 Gasser. You could have a pre 2000 class, but then you'd still be left with 20 year old machines, like my Scorpa, having to compete against the latest tackle!

Edited by jonboy883
  • Like 1

Back in the dark ages a class was started for pre65 bikes as there seemed to be a demand for a separate class for these old abandoned machines. It was popular enough to then be broken down into sub classes catering for ‘pre-unit’ big old beasts, ‘unit’ your C15 and cub 4 strokes, class C which were any 2 stroke sewing machines and of course your totally uncompetitive ‘Rigids’.

All went well for a number of years then the entries started to drop off, I am talking inter club and centre level, we all know one off trials such as the Scottish pre65 still draw huge entries. Entries dropped off to such a degree that you often found yourself in a class of one or two, so down here in the South East we amalgamated all of the classes, we even included the newly formed twin shock class in this, as they rode the same route and again often only had a few entries, to be honest a well set up pre 65 is a good as a Bultaco etc.

The twin shock class mentioned above was again started to try to get the old nails out, it only really gets good support at full national level ie Kia, locally you just don’t see the numbers.

We tried the ‘Air cooled mono’ class in the S.East a few years ago and I remember turning up at one of the early championship rounds on my newly acquired Fantic 303 ( well it looked like Steve Saunders bike ) to find I was the only entrant.

So if you want a new class you have to find an obvious demarcation in technical terms, ie pre Bultaco era, pre Yamaha / Fantic mono, pre Water cooling but at the moment I can’t see it and I am sure there is not the desire entry wise for it. 

Back in the good old days we had two classes, Novice and Expert we now have up to 8 or 10 with smaller entries so it’s no surprise class sizes diminish and competition goes away. 

• Like 2

Totally agree with both posts. I don't see the need for one at the moment but at some point in the future i imagine there will have to be one and am interested where people would think the classification would lie. Too small a range of years and you won't get the entry and too large range of years and you won't want people on their kroos riding against 2010 bikes. I was thinking pre pro model which was a big step up, so pre 2001 or maybe pre 2005 to exclude the 4rts as it would be rather easy (in the future anyways) to disguise a 2020 as a 2005.

Edited by faussy

• 4 weeks later...

I ride a 1995 JT35 as my "modern" bike, and yes there's quite a difference to the modern stuff. Seems like about 2001 there was an upgrade (better brake, clutch feel and weight loss), , again around 2005-10, and the latest bikes with fuel injection and active electronic engine management are another step up.

• Like 1

Still the same bike you rode in the 90s Roger? Can't say I knew where the TY350 & JT35 I rode in the mid to late 90s ended up after I sold them as they never appeared to come out to trials 

On 6/24/2020 at 12:39 PM, faussy said:

Totally agree with both posts. I don't see the need for one at the moment but at some point in the future i imagine there will have to be one and am interested where people would think the classification would lie. Too small a range of years and you won't get the entry and too large range of years and you won't want people on their kroos riding against 2010 bikes. I was thinking pre pro model which was a big step up, so pre 2001 or maybe pre 2005 to exclude the 4rts as it would be rather easy (in the future anyways) to disguise a 2020 as a 2005.

Or to make a 305 Fantic look like a 240...

• 1 month later...

Sorry about the delay Tony, yep its the same one. When I took a break from trials in '97, I knew if I sold it I probably wouldn't get back into trials. 

Might start looking for a more modern bike soon, but also keen to pick up a '70s TL250. I'm fixing one for a friend at the moment, what a cool beast for twin shock trials.