Intro Bultaco Frontera 370 181

Daveys

Hello. Similar to many others I have used the site a lot and thought it time to join. 

I bought my Bultaco Frontera back in 1986 for £100. It was in bad shape but still worked. This was all pre internet days and I was only 21 but I did have enough sense to buy the Haynes competition manual. Other than being very tatty the main problem back then was difficulty in selecting 2nd gear. Luckily I lived near the Len Savage Shop in Farnborough and he put me in touch with an old mechanic who had loads of spares and I got another selector drum. 

I don't know how we managed it but with some help from friends we changed the drum and it all worked. I got the bike through the MOT without any lights and borrowing some working rear shocks. At the time the rear wheel bub had split, been welded and was split again. I wrapped electricians tape around the bearing and knocked it into the hub which solved the wobble for the MOT. Incredibly stupid but effective in the short term.

I rode the bike around for a summer but it ate petrol such that I had to plan any journey via petrol stations. In the end I put it in my mum's garage and then went travelling.  I had covered it in grease as I thought she would chuck it outside while I was away. 31 years later COVID arrives, I'm bored and so decide to try and get it going.

The renovation has been quite an effort and is still ongoing. I have a lot of pictures and will post some if people are interested.

I always knew I was going to do the bike up at one stage and had bought an Akron rear wheel from USA. This fitted very well and it did make me laugh when I saw the remnants of the electricians tape on the old bearing. It was at this stage I started to identify lots of mistakes that the previous owner,and likely me,  had made in the past.  I bought some used Betor rear shocks as the originals were already not working and were now totally perished. The back end looks pretty good and all seems to work well.

I am in the process of reassembling the engine which was in a bit of  state. All the main bearings had rusted. I have learnt a lot, have leaned on the good nature of In Motion and still have lots of questions but perhaps can help others as well.

Will be posting soon.

Edited by Daveys
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2