trs v sherco v beta

midlife

Over years I've had various Beta & Sherco and recently TRS with my most recent history being 2015 Beta 250, 2016 Sherco 250 and 2018 TRS 250RR. The TRS was bought new in April 2018 and has not had any issues at all apart from service items and front wheel bearings have been changed. I would say reliability is similar to Beta & Sherco as I did not have any major issues with any of my recent bikes although I am a veteran clubman course rider so my bikes do not get hammered. After being laid up for several weeks the TRS started 2nd kick. I heard early TRS had some issues with petrol tanks and recently I see a thread on CDI units. Overall I would recommend a TRS for reliability. The clutch has a rattle when in neutral which goes away once clutch is pulled in.

Melba

• Like 1

Beta by far the most numerous bike out there. I've owned several & can't fault them. Currently using a TRS 250 Raga & its a great bike. Build quality top notch & no need to go out buying the usual bling, as it comes standard. Not too clued up on Sherco, but there's no bad bikes out there.  If the bike is being trialled every week, with the odd practice session thrown in, then it has to be looked after properly. Preventative maintenance is a far better option than breakdown maintenance. 

However............. If you are buying secondhand be very careful, as its all down to the previous owners engineering aptitude(or lack of it), &  a willingness to spend money keeping the bike in good order. 

When I was looking at either the Beta or the TRS, I asked every TRS owner I came across what they thought and not one had a single bad word to say about them. Mine had a couple niggles from new but the importer support is unbelievably good so if/when you do have problems, they will generally help you out and talk you through stuff. 

I have heard many stories about sherco which put me right off. In fact, I've not really heard anyone praise them at all. 

Personally, I went with the TRS over the Beta because it looked and seemed a lot more modern than the beta. Even if that's just perception. If nothing else, the TRS sounds the best by a long shot. 

The only thing I really hate about the TRS is changing the air filter. It's fiddly and impossible to know if you have a perfect seal. 

Edited by al_orange
  • Like 1

None of them are more or less reliable than the others,it's down to maintenance and riding style,they all have their good and bad points.Support from the importers of the Beta and TRS is excellent,don't know about Sherco as I've not had one for 10 years.Id pick the brand and engine size that I liked best

• Like 1

Beta:  The perennial issue of Betas jumping out of first or second gear - mid-section!  Some do, some don't - will yours?  Glass mudguards.

Sherco:  Rear fuel tank models 2012 - 2015 - fork yokes hit frame downtubes and chop through/collapse them.  No longer an issue.  2016 only = fiddly air filter and awkward radiator filler (can be overcome using hypo syringe).  2017 onwards have a different clutch, which might not be easily adjustable.  

TRS:  Don't really know, but I have read about different issues.  

56 minutes ago, stpauls said:

Beta:  The perennial issue of Betas jumping out of first or second gear - mid-section!  Some do, some don't - will yours?  Glass mudguards.

Sherco:  Rear fuel tank models 2012 - 2015 - fork yokes hit frame downtubes and chop through/collapse them.  No longer an issue.  2016 only = fiddly air filter and awkward radiator filler (can be overcome using hypo syringe).  2017 onwards have a different clutch, which might not be easily adjustable.  

TRS:  Don't really know, but I have read about different issues.  

Seen this mentioned before, all I can say is I've had 5 betas over the years, never had one jump out of any gear, and never had to replace a mudguard either. There are a lot of beta's in my area too and never heard of anyone else having s problem, strange?

4 hours ago, faussy said:

Or gasgas. Or possibly the most reliable bike of them all, a honda

Have had Gasgas in past must have worst gear box the jump from 4th/5th.

Honda gear leaver shaft,  glass would be stronger .Friend had a new 300r honda I rode one section on broke gear shaft both of us could not believe it happened because there was no noticeable impact. Also soft prop stands .sump shields .and casings