Weeping / leaking head gasket on TLR250

eagle8

I had my motor apart last year & put a new head gasket in & after i stopped riding i noticed a slight weeping in the front right hand corner of barrel / head, i rode it like this for awhile & just kept checking oil level even though it was loosing a minimum amount of oil. I don't like oil leaks so i took the motor down to my Mechanic who told me i needed to use three bond, he said he could do this for me, so i left the motor there with a brand new head gasket.

I put the motor back in the bike last week & started it, i looked down & there was oil shooting out on to the pipe :( . I checked all the bolts & they were tight, I then took some photos & it looked like there was a gap between the barrel & head ? I've pulled the head off & it looks like the copper section is a lot thicker than the material section & has not compressed at all, i've pulled out another couple of gaskets & the copper piece is thinner & smaller that the 1 i had used, i'm thinking this was causing the problem, has anybody else had an issue like this ? I have another TLR250 that has never been touched & there is NO sign of oil leaks anywhere ;)

Edited by eagle8

• 2 weeks later...

Well i changed the head gasket to 1 that has a thinner copper section, so very happy NO more leaks :) In the mean time i ordered the all copper head gaskets from Inmotion, just wondering has anybody used these yet ?

I remember when i raced MX some of my Suzuki's had copper head gaskets & i lived them. I was sort of glad that i had stopped the leak with gasket that i installed, but i was wanting to try out the all copper gasket, well i will install it in my other TLR250 after i have finished the rebuild on this 1 ;)

On 8/21/2020 at 12:43 AM, eagle8 said:

Well i changed the head gasket to 1 that has a thinner copper section, so very happy NO more leaks :) In the mean time i ordered the all copper head gaskets from Inmotion, just wondering has anybody used these yet ?

I remember when i raced MX some of my Suzuki's had copper head gaskets & i lived them. I was sort of glad that i had stopped the leak with gasket that i installed, but i was wanting to try out the all copper gasket, well i will install it in my other TLR250 after i have finished the rebuild on this 1 ;)

I had also problems with slightly leaking oil. the copy of the gaskets are not good. Bad quality around. maybe only one producer today. I could fix it with black 300 grade heat resisting silicon added from outside between head and cylinder. the power is top, so leak came from the chain housing.

Best regards

HondaPat, Swiss

• Like 1