Head scratcher ?

burns1989

Well went out today after fitting a switch to the fan so I can switch it on and off due to the stat not working , so did some riding in the woods and it was getting hot so on goes the switch and nothing so I was guessing fan or voltage rectified has gone caput . Got home got the trusty multi meter out and checked my feed from the coils and at idle 6 volts and revved up 12 so low voltage coil is working fine , then to my annoyance flipped the switch for the fan and it was working and checking my coil feed to the regulator it was working fine got it hot and it was ok . So ither it was a blip or poor connection  and the drive home moved some wires about . But I'm unsure weather to but a new voltage rectified or a new fan . Any one had any similar issues , ps it's a 08 rev 3 250

The fan needs about 10A available to start so what the voltmeter reads with the regulator unloaded may not be a fair representation of the current available to start the fan. Also the electrical connections and the switch itself must have a low enough resistance to provide the instantaneous start current. Make sure your connections and ground are solid and below 1 Ohm. Failure to provide enough current can cause the fan to be iffy about starting. When running it only requires about 0.5A

• Like 1

Hi thanks I did try starting it by turning it but i had no joy or taping it . When I got home and started it up and switched the fan on it worked fine , switched it on off a few times and it worked as it should , I even stopped it with my finger slowly and I could feel it had enough force so it was not anemic. I couldn't replicate the fault which was annoying but I will carry a multi meter and if it happens again I will measure the voltage at the switch and see if it has any power to see if the voltage regulator is dead or the coil is dead .