2020 Gas Gas TXT250 Shifting Issue

Steve93514

5th to 4th is fine. All of the other shifts are fine.Thanks for everyone's input on the problem. I'm going to the dealer today to get the bike and make sure that the issue is documented. Maybe the noise is "normal". If it was just a hard shift with a clunking sound/feel I would be inclined to believe it. But the buzzing/grinding of gear teeth just doesn't seem good or right.    

• Like 1

Things don`t always work smoothly on new bikes. I had a brand new `95 Fantic Section that would not shift up at all. Ended up splitting the engine. The shift fork had a blue heat mark in it. Nothing found other wise. Replaced the shift fork since the importer supplied a new one. The bike never had another issue. Things happen.

• Like 1

On 7/17/2020 at 4:27 PM, Steve93514 said:

5th to 4th is fine. All of the other shifts are fine.Thanks for everyone's input on the problem. I'm going to the dealer today to get the bike and make sure that the issue is documented. Maybe the noise is "normal". If it was just a hard shift with a clunking sound/feel I would be inclined to believe it. But the buzzing/grinding of gear teeth just doesn't seem good or right.    

Grinding is you not shifting positively i feel, very difficult to diagnose remotely across the atlantic!!!

I want to thank everyone again for their input. I did get the bike back from the dealer a few days ago and took it on an easy trail ride for about an hour to put some time on the engine and gearbox. I spent most of the time being very careful how I made each shift especially the 4th to 5th shift. The noise is still there but I am warming up to idea that that the noise is normal. Thanks mbeers6 for the video. I listened to the audio using headphones and the sound that your bike made during the 4th to 5th gear shift is similar to what my bike is doing. It does seem like the sound that my bike is making is louder. I would not describe the sound as a clunking sound. There is a definite buzzing of gear teeth trying to engage at the start of the gear change. 

In a few days I will try to make a video like mbeers6 did. If the audio accurately captures what I am hearing I will post it. 

If nothing else this thread might help someone else if they have the same concerns that I had. Before I asked all of you for help I spent a few hours searching the internet, YouTube, and motorcycle forums for some information on this issue. I did not find anyone that mentioned a difficult shift from 4th to 5th gears on these bikes. That made me think that there was a problem with my bike.

On 7/20/2020 at 6:05 AM, Steve93514 said:

I want to thank everyone again for their input. I did get the bike back from the dealer a few days ago and took it on an easy trail ride for about an hour to put some time on the engine and gearbox. I spent most of the time being very careful how I made each shift especially the 4th to 5th shift. The noise is still there but I am warming up to idea that that the noise is normal. Thanks mbeers6 for the video. I listened to the audio using headphones and the sound that your bike made during the 4th to 5th gear shift is similar to what my bike is doing. It does seem like the sound that my bike is making is louder. I would not describe the sound as a clunking sound. There is a definite buzzing of gear teeth trying to engage at the start of the gear change. 

In a few days I will try to make a video like mbeers6 did. If the audio accurately captures what I am hearing I will post it. 

If nothing else this thread might help someone else if they have the same concerns that I had. Before I asked all of you for help I spent a few hours searching the internet, YouTube, and motorcycle forums for some information on this issue. I did not find anyone that mentioned a difficult shift from 4th to 5th gears on these bikes. That made me think that there was a problem with my bike.

try changing with your heel, this might solve the grinding issue, the only way it can grind is when its not engage after being released which goes back to my "throw" comment.

• 4 weeks later...