Coldest / least waterproof boots?

turbofurball

What are the coldest and least waterproof boots?

I love my Forma Boulders enough to have two pairs, but holy hell they get hot!  Is there anything on the market that's reasonably priced and has big holes in it?

I might ask a shoe repair place to add some holes to my rough pair or something

Unless someone chimes in on something I haven't seen yet at this point between what my family and I have tried Gaerne and ApineStars or the others my buddies have used (Wolf, Forma, and Hebo) non of them are any better than the others.  Not sure about Stylmartin, Sidi or Mots but based on how they look I am going to guess not much better if at all. 

On that note I would think putting a few grommet holes a pair might be a good way to get a bit of heat and moisture out of a pair and worth a try. 

Edited by jonnyc21
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, faussy said:

The kind of terrain i ride in, i cant believe someone would ever request that from a boot. ?

I don't know, a few small belt buckle or shoelace type grommets in the boot could really make a big difference in heat.  Maybe place a couple on each side with about a 3 cm (1 inc) space between them down low, mid, and high.  It could possibly lower discomfort a lot and help with fatigue.  Worth testing out as long as you have an older pair of boots to play with and are willing to take on the risk it might compromise the boot.  

Heck, I might give it a try with my old AlpineStars.  hmmmm...

Edited by jonnyc21
  • Like 1

Have you thought about the socks that you wear with your trials boots. These may be a cause of your ‘hot feet’. Do you get hot feet when wearing everyday footwear of the non sandal variety? Do your riding trousers tuck inside your boots, maybe try them outside, this will allow some air to circulate. Obviously if you wear those ballet type stretchy material things that most tend to that could be the answer to your problem, as they are a reasonably snug fit they could be causing blood circulation issues or your heart to work overtime, which would then make your tootsies a smidge hot. Are the securing straps too tight? Lastly the boots you wear may be the wrong size and are too restrictive. This could all be wrong but at least it gives you somethings to consider.

Edited by section swept
Added info

On 7/19/2020 at 1:52 PM, carl ekblom said:

I use football socks to prevent sweat dropping from legs into boots. Make feets little dryer.

That's a good point, although the sweat is generally evenly distributed after 30 mins or so (ie. 100% coverage) :P

On 7/21/2020 at 12:15 AM, section swept said:

Have you thought about the socks that you wear with your trials boots. These may be a cause of your ‘hot feet’. Do you get hot feet when wearing everyday footwear of the non sandal variety? Do your riding trousers tuck inside your boots, maybe try them outside, this will allow some air to circulate. Obviously if you wear those ballet type stretchy material things that most tend to that could be the answer to your problem, as they are a reasonably snug fit they could be causing blood circulation issues or your heart to work overtime, which would then make your tootsies a smidge hot. Are the securing straps too tight? Lastly the boots you wear may be the wrong size and are too restrictive. This could all be wrong but at least it gives you somethings to consider.

I'm pretty sure the cause of my hot feet is it being very hot outside.  I'm riding in shorts and a sweat wicking t-shirt, and not before about 7pm because before that it's a recipe for heatstroke.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, turbofurball said:

That's a good point, although the sweat is generally evenly distributed after 30 mins or so (ie. 100% coverage) :P

I'm pretty sure the cause of my hot feet is it being very hot outside.  I'm riding in shorts and a sweat wicking t-shirt, and not before about 7pm because before that it's a recipe for heatstroke.

id love to do a back to back test between "a sweat wicking t shirt" and a good old fashioned loose fitting cotton one....?

Edited by nigel dabster

35 minutes ago, nigel dabster said:

id love to do a back to back test between "a sweat wicking t shirt" and a good old fashioned loose fitting cotton one....?

Probably no difference in a hot climate, life and death in extreme cold.