Coldest / least waterproof boots?

turbofurball

1 hour ago, nigel dabster said:

id love to do a back to back test between "a sweat wicking t shirt" and a good old fashioned loose fitting cotton one....?

41 minutes ago, b40rt said:

Probably no difference in a hot climate, life and death in extreme cold.

Big difference believe me, especially with 90% humidity.

I believe sweat wicking t shirt the wrong description, but i know what you mean, missing the "t" out.

• Thanks 1

On 7/19/2020 at 1:00 AM, turbofurball said:

What are the coldest and least waterproof boots?

I love my Forma Boulders enough to have two pairs, but holy hell they get hot!  Is there anything on the market that's reasonably priced and has big holes in it?

I might ask a shoe repair place to add some holes to my rough pair or something

I wear Boulders too.

Try riding out here!

I'm outta the house and togged up ready to go by 7 at the latest. Done by 9.00 am, 9.30 the very latest.

Forget summer time which is Mar-May here as its already 30C by breakfast and 38-40C by lunchtime.

I wear thick army socks, and thin camo cargo trousers tucked in, can't wear shorts - had too many burns, cuts and unneccessary scabs.

Sweat wicking is a huge help, a loose fitting cotton t-shirt will ensure you're hot and wrapped in a layer of hot wet material too, you can't sweat more because it sticks to you :(

6 hours ago, thai-ty said:

I wear Boulders too.

Try riding out here!

I'm outta the house and togged up ready to go by 7 at the latest. Done by 9.00 am, 9.30 the very latest.

Forget summer time which is Mar-May here as its already 30C by breakfast and 38-40C by lunchtime.

I wear thick army socks, and thin camo cargo trousers tucked in, can't wear shorts - had too many burns, cuts and unneccessary scabs.

I think my neighbours would kill me if I fired up the TY at 7 in the morning, lol

As for the shorts, they're just above the knee, my boots are the same level as my exhaust so I don't get burned there :) I just steer clear of the undergrowth ...

• Like 1

On 7/21/2020 at 1:44 PM, MIckyT said:

alpinestars are the least waterproof boots in my experiance let water straight in and straight out making them cooler for your feet 

Watercooled boots! Now there's an invention. Hook them up to a nice big camelbak and you've got a total-loss feet cooling system.

• Like 1

I have the same problem with my Boulder. I tried socks made of thin cotton, thicker cotton, 2 different kind of wool with the same result. It would be quicker to cut the socks than take them off. Last Thursday I went for a ride, it was quite hot, but this time I whore Jitsie trials socks, I won't say there cool but I felt better in them. I will try to find what they are made of and try to find a short version of them.

Guy

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

I use Alpinestar tech 7s on my enduro bike. I drilled 5-6mm holes in the bottom and also in the plastic ankle area that touches the bike. Water goes straight back out. Usually too hot to ever notice cold wet feet even in winter.  In summer the air gets in too. You always have very dirty feet though! I have AS trials boots to but not sure where I’d drill holes to work the same. 

• Like 2