Can anyone identify this hub for me?

drca

I have this hub that I am planning to use for a project but I am not sure where it comes from.  Someone mentioned it might be an old Montesa unit, could anyone confirm?  ID for the sprocket is 130mm, I can post additional measurements if that helps.

If it is, where can I find sprockets / brake shoes?

Thanks in advance for the help.

534343292_2020-07-19-RearHub-01.thumb.jpg.453fe35ccd36661c4a2235a9fd421554.jpg

1473696457_2020-07-19-RearHub-02.thumb.jpg.172dfbf985fbfd3ab210085b19fc2a19.jpg

33 minutes ago, section swept said:

The hub you show does indeed look exactly like a 348 rear hub. Heres mine for you to compare.

Great.  Thanks.  

Would you mind trying to measure the ID of the sprocket (approximately) to see if it's anywhere close to 130 mm.  What year is your 348?

Edited by drca

Measured today, the ID of the rear sprocket and hub flange are 120mm and from sprocket bolt centres 130mm. I did not remove the rear wheel for this so I fiddled about with a steel rule. 60 mm from the centre of the rear wheel spindle to the flange or rear sprocket = 120 mm ID 

Guess you have definitely got a 348 rear hub, don’t know if the Cappra MX used the same hub. 

Brake shoes will be available from In Motion in the UK, I suggest a look online there may be shoe dimensions to help. Saw some 348 parts on e-bay a few months back eg wheels, brake plates and pivots etc.

Good luck with the project? There are more photos of my 348 on the classified ads section. 

Edited by section swept
Added info

1 hour ago, section swept said:

Measured today, the ID of the rear sprocket and hub flange are 120mm and from sprocket bolt centres 130mm. I did not remove the rear wheel for this so I fiddled about with a steel rule. 60 mm from the centre of the rear wheel spindle to the flange or rear sprocket = 120 mm ID 

Guess you have definitely got a 348 rear hub, don’t know if the Cappra MX used the same hub. 

Brake shoes will be available from In Motion in the UK, I suggest a look online there may be shoe dimensions to help. Saw some 348 parts on e-bay a few months back eg wheels, brake plates and pivots etc.

Good luck with the project? There are more photos of my 348 on the classified ads section. 

Thanks for the info.  The hub I have has a 130 mm sprocket ID with the bolt holes on a 150 mm diameter circle!  So it looks like it's not a 348 hub.  I emailed the guys at In Motion UK and they confirmed that they have no sprockets this size.  Aaaaaarg!!!!!!

There are plenty of manufacturers that make to order. Talon Engineering, Bespoke Sprockets, B&C Express and many more, your choice. You can also get sprocket blanks that allow you to get them machined to your specs. 

Don’t forget I measured the Brake plate to give an approx ID and I could well be out by 2-3 mm?. My measurement of the sprocket bolt holes was also approximate. 

1 hour ago, section swept said:

There are plenty of manufacturers that make to order. Talon Engineering, Bespoke Sprockets, B&C Express and many more, your choice. You can also get sprocket blanks that allow you to get them machined to your specs. 

Don’t forget I measured the Brake plate to give an approx ID and I could well be out by 2-3 mm?. My measurement of the sprocket bolt holes was also approximate. 

Yep, that's probably the way I'll have to go.

Now... more of a concern are the brake shoes.  They have stamped on them NAGESTI BARCELONA and Mg (for Magnesium?).  No model number or size information on them tho.

They are approx 118 mm outside diameter.

The springs have a funny hookup (first time I see that): they slide in holes in the shoes and are held with cotter pins.

2020-07-22 10.13.57.jpg