Montesa Cota 247 1977

ChrisCole

Could anybody point me in the right direction to get a copy of a manual for my 1977 Cota 247. I have had my bike a very long time but never got round until now to try and get a manual for it, I must be getting old wanting to know the right way to do things rather than trying to work it out for myself

Did'nt Clymers do a manual?

I have a Clymer Vintage Spanish off road manual, comprising the Big 3 - Bul, Mont, Ossa from the years mid 60-s to late 70's all models trials thru motocross, 125-350.

May still be available, some pretty useful stuff in there.

Thank you Thai-ty and cleanorbust I will pursue the clymer manual on ebay for the 1965 to 1972 montesa singles, did not a lot change between 1972 and 1977?

Andrew I have sent a pm and it appears to have gone through this time

Many thanks everybody

I think the Clymer manual is about all you will get. I have a 1976 Cota 247 UKR which I bought new. It came with a sort of handbook which has some basic info and I think it has wiring diagrams. It also tells me that I must thoroughly grease all the whirling points on the brakes and to start the bike I have to "open the gas command to a quarter of it's run and smartly depress the starting lever"!

There was no proper official repair manual available then for the later Cotas so I should think it is unlikely that one has been produced since.     

As you have owned this bike a long time you will appreciate that it like Bultaco and Ossa are fairly basic in their design and operation. From experience the Clymer manuals tend to have much more info than Haynes, both are useful for tech specs and photos of assemblies etc. But there is so much experience and information available on this and other web sites. Adjustments are fairly simple externally but shimming and gear change settings a bit more challenging. If you photo everything you are wanting to take apart or repair/replace before, during and after work this will stand you in good stead. As your bike is getting on things like seals will need looking at and probably need changing, as will bearings. Even with a manual by your side there will be work procedures that sometimes fox even the most practiced of us. Your Montesa must have seen you carrying out maintenance and some repairs before now, so depending on your engineering diy skill levels and with help from Trials Central members you should be well set to do what ever to your Cota 247 ?

Thank you section swept, yes I have done a number of things to the bike over the years and generally it has gone according to plan. In the past I was always short of time and would just crack on as quickly as possible, these days I have a bit more time and do a bit more research before I tear into things. At the weekend I stripped the forks and changed the gear and clutch oil,I had to get the quantities and specifications from this site which was excellent but having them to hand in a manual could be useful

Pleased to hear you have managed to get sorted out but i there is anything that you think might be in the Montesa manual that I have then I can always have a look but please don't ask me where the whirling points are on the brakes - never been able to find those in the 40+ years I have had the bike..

Just had a look at the manual it does have useful things like torque settings for head bolts, dimensions and part nos for steerimng head and other bearings and exploded drawings with part nos. I can either photograph or scan these pages if you don't have the info already.  

Edited by autoavia