Frontera electrics

cunpr

Dear All,

Just getting to the end of my Frontera 370 restoration, after 9 years! i'm about to start on the electrics. does anyone know anything about the box of tricks they used to have under the tank. mine had a ULO EBL 801 which was obviously knackered but it seems they were 6 volt. As i'd actually like to see where i am going i'm planning on going to 12 volts and LEDs front and back. Has anyone done any 12 v conversions on theirs?

Paul Cundy

sherpa 199b 340, Frontera 370, Range Rover P38, E-type S3 V12 OTS and Noble M12 race car.

Frontera1.jpg

Frontera3.jpg

You may find it will power 12 volt LEDs with no hassles. I know on the points ignition ones often you had to run a 12 volt bulb in the brake and tail light to stop them blowing bulbs. If you have to change the ignition then just buy a 12 volt system.

The topic had me interested

I have a MK11 Frontera 370 (Model 215) which has a ULO box mounted on the frame at the front up under the fuel tank, opposite the horn. I believe it is a 6v Capacitor which perhaps "smooths" the voltage. There are many options for the lighting/ignition, both 6 and 12v. I am lead to believe that LED globes require DC power (battery).

I have both a 214 (250 MK11) which has upgraded 12VAC  power (work in progress with lighting) I intend to use a 12v Jump starter as a total loss system to run indicators etc and 12Ac headlight and taillights

The model 215 (MK11 370) has the stock 6v Motoplat ignition system, horn headlight and taillights which all work. I bought a 215 parts bike which has the ULO ( I suspect it as a USA spec bike

best wishes with the project

peter

peter

BUL215_2mb.jpg

• Like 1

Dear All,

Thanks for your input. The ULO box has a set of rechargeable batteries in it. LEDs are voltage sensetive and 6v LEDs have different circuitry with them compared to 12v ones, which can actyually operate from 9v to 32v. LEDs can also work with ac but are best specified to do so. I have an Elextrex twin plug ignition system which i am pretty sure has a 12v ac output, if not i can add a coil to it and then i'll hide their regulator/rectifier in an empty ULO box and then i'm off. interestingly the wiring diagram i have in my drivers handbook doesn#t seem to show the ULO box. Perhaps it was a late addition.

Regards

Paul C