Betaireland

Bultaco sherpa ?

Picked up a bultaco this evening no runner no compression can anyone tell me more about it please what cc or year or how to find this out 

IMG-20200725-WA0003.jpg

IMG-20200715-WA0006.jpg

Edited by Betaireland

The engine number is stamped on top of the engine at the rear beneath the exhaust pipe and the prefix is the important part [199- 1978 325 red] [198- 1978 250 red] [199A- 1979 325 blue] [198A- 1979 250 blue]  The frame number should match and it is stamped on the headstock. My guess would be 199/198   325/250 with the frame modified by removing the tubes underneath the engine [std on the later 199A 198A models] as well as the more desirable earlier model 159 airbox

Cheers Greg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

In Motion Trials in England are the go on your side of the world.

• Like 2

Stripped the top end off the bike today can any one tell me if these are off a different model cheers

20200730_173443.jpg

20200730_173213.jpg

They are a mis-match.  The barrel is right for your 191 engine as the 159, 183 and 191 engines are essentially the same. These engines don't use a head gasket and the liner will sit proud of the top of the barrel as it sits in a recess in the head.  The head is from the 199 type engine and I can't remember whether they have a different shape combustion chamber from the 159/191 series. The shape changed at some point but I can't remember from which model, although it shouldn't prevent your engine from running ok.  You look to have the 199 exhaust but how it is fitted to the manifold on the barrel I can't see clearly. The exhausts had different fittings. The 191 had a manifold bolted to the barrel and the exhaust was a push fit into the manifold and held by springs. The 199 exhaust has a loose collar and a flanged end to the pipe and the collar bolts directly to the barrel with a gasket and seals the flange to the gasket. Your pipe looks like a 199 shape with collar but there are springs as well

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Use any good shocks on it. There are to many good brands out there to say which ones to use. I have NJBs on my three. It depends on your budget. For the forks pull them apart and put In Motion springs in them and renew the seals with some KTM 2002 to 2009 SX 65 fork seals. Change the oil and away you go. it does improve the sterring a bit to use 360mm shocks instead of the standard length of 340mm.