Sell it too me

Robert n

13 hours ago, jonnyc21 said:

Have one guy in our group with a Vertigo and hia seems to be doing well over all for reliability and performance.  We have a few TRS guys with good luck, and a good bunch of Betas doing very well.

not a big fan of the Sherco’s at the moment with the fuel leaks.  So if I was going 2T I would probably go TRS or Vertigo... rather fond of EFI so would likely go that route at the moment but who’s to say I wouldn’t change my mind by the time I am ready to actually buy another bike.  Very happy with my 17 Montesa 300 RR at the moment so no rush.

good luck!

Thanks i am swaying toward the vertigo  id like to try a gas gas but they still go rusty sherco is my back up choice  

• Like 1

I've had and ridden most of the bikes in your group; 2017 Vertigo, 2018 Scorpa Factory, 2020 301RR.

Vertigo was fine once I got it dialed in but had to deal with fuel pump, maps and batteryless upgrades; spent about 20hrs drive time back and forth to the dealer to get al this resolved on a new bike.  The newer ones are past these growing pains but put me off FI (had an Ossa before so was ready to deal with FI)

Got the 2018 Scorpa and loved it, simple and keeps going.  Friend who rides his stuff hard had 350 trouble free hrs on his and I could see daylight around the head.  Had a leaky petcock at the gas tank; pulled the petcock and put an oring between it and the tank, no leaks since.  150 hard hours on that bike and still in great condidtion

Buddy got a 2018 Sherco factory same time I got the Scorpa; he's had zero issues and the bike is really nice.  Rides a little less snappy than the Scorpa, tuning is more stable but a good bike for sure.

Got a 2020 301 and tried to make it work for 20 hrs or so.  I'm not a 4t guy and am selling it; had two of the worst trials in my life on it, just can't get the timing right and don't feel the need to take the time it needs to figure it out.  Bike is very well put together and smooth, clutch is amazing; left side case cover has a pressure oil passage sticking out in the breeze that is an Achilles heel.  Smashed it in a minor tipover and DNF'd, first DNF in 12 years.  Cover was $380.....If you want to mention the leaky tank on the Scorpa you gotta' mention this. 

Just took delivery on a 2020 Scopra factory a couple of weeks ago so you can tell where I ended up.  2t's feel like a Gazelle to me where as the 4t is more like a tiger; one is bouncy and flighty, the other wants a directed leap.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, elemetal said:

I've had and ridden most of the bikes in your group; 2017 Vertigo, 2018 Scorpa Factory, 2020 301RR.

Vertigo was fine once I got it dialed in but had to deal with fuel pump, maps and batteryless upgrades; spent about 20hrs drive time back and forth to the dealer to get al this resolved on a new bike.  The newer ones are past these growing pains but put me off FI (had an Ossa before so was ready to deal with FI)

Got the 2018 Scorpa and loved it, simple and keeps going.  Friend who rides his stuff hard had 350 trouble free hrs on his and I could see daylight around the head.  Had a leaky petcock at the gas tank; pulled the petcock and put an oring between it and the tank, no leaks since.  150 hard hours on that bike and still in great condidtion

Buddy got a 2018 Sherco factory same time I got the Scorpa; he's had zero issues and the bike is really nice.  Rides a little less snappy than the Scorpa, tuning is more stable but a good bike for sure.

Got a 2020 301 and tried to make it work for 20 hrs or so.  I'm not a 4t guy and am selling it; had two of the worst trials in my life on it, just can't get the timing right and don't feel the need to take the time it needs to figure it out.  Bike is very well put together and smooth, clutch is amazing; left side case cover has a pressure oil passage sticking out in the breeze that is an Achilles heel.  Smashed it in a minor tipover and DNF'd, first DNF in 12 years.  Cover was $380.....If you want to mention the leaky tank on the Scorpa you gotta' mention this. 

Just took delivery on a 2020 Scopra factory a couple of weeks ago so you can tell where I ended up.  2t's feel like a Gazelle to me where as the 4t is more like a tiger; one is bouncy and flighty, the other wants a directed leap.

First and foremost, the OP isn't asking about a getting another Montesa so not sure how your cover issue is relevant to the current discussion.  However seeing that your brining it up... It is true that the cover will cost a lot if you brake it, however there is a guard for the cover that can make a big difference (though not a 100% affective) but a leaky fuel tank to me is a much bigger deal as not only can this cause a DNF but to me is a much bigger deal as fuel all over me, the bike, the ground, etc. is much worse in a lot of ways in my opinion.  And where I know not everyone has had the same level of trouble with the leaky tank but some are having really big issues with it and any issue that is that wide spread is a lot bigger deal that a few people that hit the cover (much less often an issue that the leaky tank).  

I will also say that this doesn't make the Shecro's or Scorpa's a bad bike, they are great and other than the fuel tank issue I have nothing bad to say about them.  As long as people are aware they might have a big issue with the tank and are willing to deal with it if it happens then they will have a fantastic bike.  I just wouldn't be willing to spend $ on one tell that is sorted... 

This is my experience and 2 cents... 

Side note: I have been on Montesa's for over 10 years now and never hit that cover in a way to cause an issue even if I didn't have the guard on it, maybe I am just lucky?  (shrug)   

Edited by jonnyc21
  • Like 1