2004 Rev3 200 sidestand problem

PhilGoodBeta

New to trials bikes and lhs kick start. 

Tried kicking over whilst on sidestand. Oh dear. Now sidestand bends under the bike when down (no good at all) and threatens to rub on back wheel when up. Couldn't 'straighten it out' in situ. 

Have taken it off and bracket looks 'bent/weak/dodgy. 

Not obvious to me what to do. 

Anyone with experience of this problem that can help? 

Thanks 

Edited by PhilGoodBeta
Wish to be notified of responses but can't find the box to tick.

Don't kickstart on the side stand, lean it against a wall or tree!

sidestand bracket, get a large pair of plumbers wrench or a big G cramp and squeeze the bracket back up, the gap has opened and needs closing to the width of the stand!

Side stands are too puny for starting from, I bent and snapped the bracket on my Beta 300 doing this, it's loosened up a lot since and I have refined my technique for starting quite successfully, being on the left doesn't help, I cut my teeth on right side kickstarts in the 80's.

With every part intended to be as light weight as possible the sidestand is only meant to hold up the bike. I took a friend with a Harley out to ride trials bikes and the first thing he did was sit on the bike on its stand. Instant bent stand. 

I'm wondering if the 'double U' bracket is f....d too. Have tried squeezing it up as jonboy883 suggested but am not confident it will work. 

The two bolts clamping it to the frame were tricky to get at. Not looking forward to re-attaching only to find it's a wot. 

Oh well. I live and very slowly learn. 

2 hours ago, PhilGoodBeta said:

Oh well. I live and very slowly learn. 

As do we all. I had the kick stand on my current ‘18 on the longest of any bike for years but took it off end of last year when it got wobbly and I got tired of re-tightening only to have it get loose again a few hours later. Fortunately here in New England there’s a tree every two feet so it’s usually no big deal.

I'm told a few taps on the bowl does the trick. 

The  carb has been cleaned recently (was running on and surging on t/o when it did return to it). The problem of emulsified oil was also addressed. 

Just starting on trials. What (else) can go wrong? ?