Rickman

larry s. k.

On 8/8/2020 at 11:55 PM, feetupfun said:

Larry I'm going to have a go at re-writing what I think you have written to see if I have understood your posting.

"I can't find a Rickman forum.

I've got Rickman Montesa and Rickman Hodaka project bikes.

I bought the Rickman Hodaka frame from a wrecker in Michigan. Most small Rickmans are for Zundapp engines. The frame has a H stamp. I found parts to complete it on ebay. The 100cc motor runs and shifts. The forks and wheels are from super rat 125. Either the motor or the frame is 6/71 which was on a small tag on the left side. The whole project has cost $US1500 so far. The motor is either stock with some Super rat parts or I might try and use some super rat parts or I might look for a better performing Hodaka engine. The gearing on it is very high.

The Montesa did run but a few hours after I bought it, I found it had a broken gearbox shaft which needed the cases split and parts to fix it. The motor is the same as what came in a 1973 250 Cappra VR. It was stored in a barn in East Washington State for 20 to 30 years, was ridden by two brothers then a son. It was delivered to me. I could not believe how high the compression or the power was for an old engine. I am sure it has a pickled cylinder. It has rust in the tank and wheels. It's been pulled apart and stored in boxes. I have bought parts to fix it from a dealer in Oregon for when I can get to it.

I've rebuilt some Bultaco motors.

These Rickmans are not for sale.

I like seeing photos of Rickmans but there are not many photos on the trials forum. I lost my Rickman photos when my other PC died.

There are pictures of me at "Happy Hodaka Day"."m.     ',,,,',,,,,,,,,,,,,,,',,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,   Hi now Larry would like to add , there are no pictures of me at hodaka days , few bultaco I repaired running , last few years it’s November 2 , 2020 ,  , bultaco  68 my gold mk4 putter , 2# 68 black runner , , 26 mat , runner , 4 mat, runner , 137 alp, runner , 98 alp , runner , 80 Sherpa 100cc rare runner , , 99 alp runner now ,, my engine on the bench ,  Alpina 213 , pursang 370r ,pursang 360 polmroy 1974 with frame ,  , 92 Sherpa , , 135 pursang ,,, ho my Astro engines  model 90 complet assembling , model 163 Astro , assembling top end , adjusting shifting ,  ,, I think that  covers most Bultaco’s projects ,  thank you  happy riding , Larry,, ho have model 85 Alpina complete repairing engine  ,  Cheers !

Edited by larry s. k.
Add

• 10 months later...
On 8/28/2020 at 9:24 AM, scot taco said:

Looking good ! That is a really cool and I would think rare bike. I use to race AHRMA events against some Yamaha mx250s and they were fast. I can only imagine how a 360 will be and now its in a good handling chassis. Please post a pic when you have it finished.

Finished.  50 years old and reborn.  Titled, street tagged and ridden.  Not restored since it seems no two were the same, not restomod except for LED bulbs, but built as a period correct time capsule, with period correct enduro options, NOS 1971 license plate, and kept as the originally built for enduros back in 1971 with the original RT2 360cc engine.

EA514A35-0341-4082-B098-C714E39894B1.jpeg

5FC6116F-6FE6-4F3E-A9ED-F45FD366BA13.jpeg

Edited by pmk
  • Like 2

• 4 weeks later...