Racing or gp

Robert n

It used to be the txt with the dellorto carb and sach rear shock was the base model, and the racing/raga was the tricker bike with the keihin and reiger or olhins. Then they did away with the standard txt and the racing became the base model and gp was the tricker of the two. Don't quote me but in those years the main difference would be, racing- reiger 2way rear shock, gp-reiger 3 way (extra damping knob). GP- carbon airbox. GP- carbon reeds, and the gp has a double spark ignition system. IMO, not worth the price difference when they were new, and have always been happy with my racings. If you want you can buy the reeds for 50 quid and add them yourself. Never found the 2 way shock lacking, the carbon airbox is just bling and probably the bulk of the price difference, and ive actually seen the gp hidria ignition systems give more bother than the racings (ive had 4 racings with no ignition problems). I forget which year the gp started coming with the adjustable pressure plate on the clutch, 2018 maybe, but i think the racing got it as standard the following year, 2019. Would need to check this.

Second hand, similar condition, id maybe pay 2 or 3 hundred extra if i preferred the look of the gp (personally i prefer the red frames), but thats about it. Performance wise virtually identical, just depends if you want the carbon airbox and the less common colour scheme

Edited by faussy

20 hours ago, faussy said:

It used to be the txt with the dellorto carb and sach rear shock was the base model, and the racing/raga was the tricker bike with the keihin and reiger or olhins. Then they did away with the standard txt and the racing became the base model and gp was the tricker of the two. Don't quote me but in those years the main difference would be, racing- reiger 2way rear shock, gp-reiger 3 way (extra damping knob). GP- carbon airbox. GP- carbon reeds, and the gp has a double spark ignition system. IMO, not worth the price difference when they were new, and have always been happy with my racings. If you want you can buy the reeds for 50 quid and add them yourself. Never found the 2 way shock lacking, the carbon airbox is just bling and probably the bulk of the price difference, and ive actually seen the gp hidria ignition systems give more bother than the racings (ive had 4 racings with no ignition problems). I forget which year the gp started coming with the adjustable pressure plate on the clutch, 2018 maybe, but i think the racing got it as standard the following year, 2019. Would need to check this.

Second hand, similar condition, id maybe pay 2 or 3 hundred extra if i preferred the look of the gp (personally i prefer the red frames), but thats about it. Performance wise virtually identical, just depends if you want the carbon airbox and the less common colour scheme

Thankyou  Iv noticed the 2018 has gone to onlins rear shock is that a sign of putting cheeper stuff on the newer models thanks 

18 minutes ago, Robert n said:

Thankyou  Iv noticed the 2018 has gone to onlins rear shock is that a sign of putting cheeper stuff on the newer models thanks 

For years ohlins were the mutts nuts. Lately reiger have been the go to shock, having recently entered the trials market. I honestly don't know, i haven't tried one of the new bikes with the ohlins. AFAIK the ohlins retails at a lower price but that doesn't necessarily mean they went to it solely for cheaper components

Edited by faussy
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, faussy said:

For years ohlins were the mutts nuts. Lately reiger have been the go to shock, having recently entered the trials market. I honestly don't know, i haven't tried one of the new bikes with the ohlins. AFAIK the ohlins retails at a lower price but that doesn't necessarily mean they went to it solely for cheaper components

The one I really like the look of is the 2017 300 txt gp with the white frame  but there doesn’t seem any for sale at the min 

• Like 1

Unless you are a very competent expert rider I would give the 300 a miss, I have a 2017 white framed 250GP and believe me it’s plenty powerful enough. In fact I have lowered the compression with a Stars head and insert and it’s now a fabulous ride. I had a 300 racing before this and it was good fun but very tiring.
In my eyes the 2017 GP in white is just the perfect aesthetic, you are right. 
I have had numerous GasGas machines over the last 20 years and this rumour of lower quality in the later years of production is just plain stupid.

I am not going to diss other makes on here but the riders who complain about bits falling off any modern bike are the ones who don’t ride over the obstacle but attempt to ride through it, literally !

Good luck with your search.

Edited by collyolly
Adding GP
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, collyolly said:

Unless you are a very competent expert rider I would give the 300 a miss, I have a 2017 white framed 250GP and believe me it’s plenty powerful enough. In fact I have lowered the compression with a Stars head and insert and it’s now a fabulous ride. I had a 300 racing before this and it was good fun but very tiring.
In my eyes the 2017 GP in white is just the perfect aesthetic, you are right. 
I have had numerous GasGas machines over the last 20 years and this rumour of lower quality in the later years of production is just plain stupid.

I am not going to diss other makes on here but the riders who complain about bits falling off any modern bike are the ones who don’t ride over the obstacle but attempt to ride through it, literally !

Good luck with your search.

Thanks I was thinking nobody had one of these models  Iv always gone for the bigger cc  just to make sure I had plenty of umff on the big hills  Iv been looking at a 2019 racing 300 as I carnt find what I’m looking for  but I’m wondering if it’s as good as a 17 now they have changed. The rear suspension  I suppose my thoughts are get the most powerful one and you can slow it down if need be  I’m probably totally wrong 

4 hours ago, Robert n said:

Thanks I was thinking nobody had one of these models  Iv always gone for the bigger cc  just to make sure I had plenty of umff on the big hills  Iv been looking at a 2019 racing 300 as I carnt find what I’m looking for  but I’m wondering if it’s as good as a 17 now they have changed. The rear suspension  I suppose my thoughts are get the most powerful one and you can slow it down if need be  I’m probably totally wrong 

It depends what type of rider you are. If you just ride hills and generally arsing around the 300 will be fine, but if you ride trials or anything tight, the 300 may be a handful for you. I ride a 300, but im an expert rider. I sold one 300 on to a clubman and he did struggle with it. In my club even semi experts ride 250s. Im not gonna sway you one way or another, ive seen clubmen also like 300s, just to try your best to get a ride on one before you buy. Kind of hard in the current situation though, but even test riding a non GP will give you an idea

Regarding reliability, i agree with collyolly. And remember every make has a weakness, montesa it's weight, beta its electronics, GG the clutch (most work great, some drag a little (something to test if you get a test ride) but are an easy enough fix by changing plate thicknesses). My test for a GG clutch is have it in neutral and let it tick over, pull the clutch in with one finger to your knuckles as you would be riding, not right into the bars, and nick it into second. The revs will drop a little but they shouldn't drop too much and the bike shouldn't start creeping forward. If it does it may need a bit of work with the plates if you're the fussy type. Most riders who aren't on the clutch all the time won't even notice this. When set up perfect they have a very light and nice clutch

Other than that i cant say a single bad thing about GG, they aren't particularly weak in any other department., and IMO they have the best running engine and nicest power delivery hands down.

Only person i know on here with a new GP is @heffergm, maybe he can comment on his ohlins?

Edited by faussy
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, faussy said:

It depends what type of rider you are. If you just ride hills and generally arsing around the 300 will be fine, but if you ride trials or anything tight, the 300 may be a handful for you. I ride a 300, but im an expert rider. I sold one 300 on to a clubman and he did struggle with it. In my club even semi experts ride 250s. Im not gonna sway you one way or another, ive seen clubmen also like 300s, just to try your best to get a ride on one before you buy. Kind of hard in the current situation though, but even test riding a non GP will give you an idea

Regarding reliability, i agree with collyolly. And remember every make has a weakness, montesa it's weight, beta its electronics, GG the clutch (most work great, some drag a little (something to test if you get a test ride) but are an easy enough fix by changing plate thicknesses). My test for a GG clutch is have it in neutral and let it tick over, pull the clutch in with one finger to your knuckles as you would be riding, not right into the bars, and nick it into second. The revs will drop a little but they shouldn't drop too much and the bike shouldn't start creeping forward. If it does it may need a bit of work with the plates if you're the fussy type. Most riders who aren't on the clutch all the time won't even notice this. When set up perfect they have a very light and nice clutch

Other than that i cant say a single bad thing about GG, they aren't particularly weak in any other department., and IMO they have the best running engine and nicest power delivery hands down.

Only person i know on here with a new GP is @heffergm, maybe he can comment on his ohlins?

Thanks for the advice I do just mess around with my mates I tried doing trials when I was younger I wasn’t taken with all the sitting about waiting for a turn  we do some big hills  rocks  tree trunks sometimes make small sections  we should do them more we’re all rubbish more dabs than a bingo marker  my mates think I should go vertigo  but Iv always liked the look of the gasser  but never ridden one  I feel my skill level would take a big jump on one  iv probably not much chance of having a go to compare  if i went 250 would it still have plenty of power  up the hills  i assume like rocks and stuff it would probably just as good thanks 

Edited by Robert n

20 hours ago, Robert n said:

The one I really like the look of is the 2017 300 txt gp with the white frame  but there doesn’t seem any for sale at the min 

@Robert n I'm in the throws of selling a mint 2017 250 GP if thats any use??