Loading a bike rack

ssdt1980

Fitted my DC rack to the Freelander and the rack looks great though the height to lift the back wheel looks very high... anyone have any tips on getting it up high enough to load... think the beta will be OK but my Sherpa is a lot heavier...

I have a high fitting rack, used with a twinshock. My technique is front wheel in first then I lift back wheel using the inside swing arm and my thigh to give extra lift. The bike falls to the outside and once rear wheel is in the slot push vertical. Hopefully this is clear.

2 hours ago, mattylad said:

I have a high fitting rack, used with a twinshock. My technique is front wheel in first then I lift back wheel using the inside swing arm and my thigh to give extra lift. The bike falls to the outside and once rear wheel is in the slot push vertical. Hopefully this is clear.

Sounds like a good idea front wheel first and then grab the swinging arm cheers... 

I saw a fella at a local event at the end when he was knackered trying to put bike in the rack on a 4x4.

He got a milk crate and did the rear lift in two, once onto the crate, had a breather and then into the rack. That said he did look tired.

ifs it's too tall for one movement, if might be worth considering, you'll not be the only one.

Rear end in firs  -if you do a nose wheelie type technique while at the side of the bike  -i,e grab the front brake and swing the back up with your hand it surprising how far you can lift or get the back wheel to travel. Much easier than just a dead lift.

Once back wheel seated  - hand full of front brake and grab the spokes to lift in the front 

To Remove drag back wheel out - then front brake and hand full of spokes on the front wheel  

Stand at side of front wheel, I then place my fingers over the twist grip while hooking my thumb over the front brake lever and squeezing the brake on, hold the brake on then with your right hand hold the wheel spokes at the three oclock position by the rim and pick the wheel off the ground and into rack like a one handed wheelbarrow. That's one end secured in the rack then lift the back wheel in however works best for you. 

I have used mine for 15 years to cart  around an Ariel HT replica, believe me it weighs more than a Sherpa, you will sort out a technique that works for you.

For me it’s front wheel first, then lean the bike over so that when you grab the swing arm ( outside ) and lift with your legs the weight is more central over your lifting hand.

You could also consider a set of drop plates these go in between the tow bar and the tow ball then the rack bolts on up to 4” lower on the plates. A pair of plates ( possibly welded together to stop bending) and longer high tensile bolts will be required.

• Like 1

On 8/10/2020 at 1:14 PM, jimmyl said:

Rear end in firs  -if you do a nose wheelie type technique while at the side of the bike  -i,e grab the front brake and swing the back up with your hand it surprising how far you can lift or get the back wheel to travel. Much easier than just a dead lift.

Once back wheel seated  - hand full of front brake and grab the spokes to lift in the front 

To Remove drag back wheel out - then front brake and hand full of spokes on the front wheel  

Edited by section swept
delete

On 8/9/2020 at 9:37 PM, al_orange said:

I've always done rear first then front but I have just bought a Freelander 2 myself, so may have the same problem! Especially, with the enduro bike. 

So I fitted my rack to the Freelander and did some testing yesterday. Yes, the rack is noticeably higher but the technique is the same. The clutch side bar end leans on the rear window so I've made a very thick pad out of a training mat to go around it. I'll probably put some protective film on the window too if it works. 

To load the TRS - I hold the front brake on with my right hand, and then lift the rear of the bike (using the airbox on the opposite side to the exhaust) with my left hand and lift it onto the rack. Then with my right hand, lift the front wheel at 12 o'clock up into the rack. Mind you, I'm considerably heavier than the TRS so can pretty much just lift the whole bike off the ground. 

Enduro bike - right hand under the swing arm at the rear wheel, left hand on rear wheel for support and deadlift the rear up. Then right hand on the bottom of the forks and left hand/arm around the forks under the frame and deadlift up into rack. Although, that front lift is some effort, especially after a wet event. I'm pretty chunky so I appreciate that this method might not work for some people. 

I've a much slighter mate that pretty much leans the bike into his thigh to lift the wheels into place but I don't think that would work on such a high rack. 

• Thanks 1

Good to hear how to do it first hand thanks... I'd half considered using the bike stand first as it lifts the wheel up a fair bit, then lifting in from there but I would imagine it might be a bit wobbly high up and probably better to lift from lower down.. Going to try a few practice attempts first in the drive before trying tired out and covered in mud...