2010 gasgas 300 kick start problem?

Johnst300

Hi there, my friends got a 300 gasgas and through stupidity and frustration he has kicked the kickstart over repeatedly and very hard and it no longer feels to engage. You can push it down with your fingers but it does spring back to the top. Any ideas on what part he’s broke and how big of a job it is to fix?

cheers

Your mate has passed the rite of passage and can now call himself a real GasGas owner.

First commandment of GasGas ownership is that:
Thou shall not kick full blooded until gear has meshed

99% likely he has broken the kickstart gear, so should be an easy fix as long as he hasn't taken anything with it.

45 minutes ago, Johnst300 said:

The idle gear is actually fine the piece you see broken here is the bart gear 

Originally i thought it looked like the bart gear. As for the idler, you won't know until you rebuild it. A slightly damaged tooth on the idler gear can create a very annoying rumble/ticking when the bikes running and turns against the clutch basket.

Edited by faussy

Check the replacement Bart gear very carefully, no tiny indentations, scratches or burrs on the teeth...all can lead to hairline cracks developing eventually ending up as you found. I think the recess machined into the gear body is the problem, it may be there to allow clearance for some other mechanism but its made the gear very thin in my opinion...no pun intended?