Greetings

Clayton

Hello from Boonville Indiana. A buddy and I went to trials school in TN 15 years ago and when we came back I bought a used Montesa Cota315r and he moved to Idaho.  The Cota set until now as no one to ride with. Finally decided to get it out to play a little a have run into a problem.  The right lower fork was cracked on the clamp. This seems to be a common problem but I have also discovered a hairline crack allowing oil to leak out thru axle clamp area.  I have found a welder willing to take this on but he has asked if I can find out the metal composition of the piece. As it’s seems the Paoila 38mm lower is now an unobtainable part help any info is appreciated. If welding is not successful I welcome any advise on possible solutions.  I am an old guy so it will not receive excessive abuse but still want it to be safe and good for anyone to enjoy.  Thanks in advance. 

Your issue is getting the oil out of the cracked fork. A good TIG welder will want to try a few passes so I would find an old fork leg for them to try their hand at. The aluminium...or USA speak aluminum...has degraded and become brittle possibly due to the clamp being too tight. A safer alternative would be to find another set of good forks, but check the clamp area thoroughly. If its any consolation Paoli made the forks on my Yamaha 660 SM and they were prone to cracking, later models had a different design fitted. Litigation and lawyers especially in the US will have a field day if you intend to let anyone enjoy the bike, as in this potential case you knew the forks to have been faulty and repaired.?‍???‍♂️??‍♂️ Paoli are still manufacturing so an enquiry to the factory might get you the information needed, but I hasten to add if only you are using the bike a weld repair failure is your fault and you won’t be suing yourself now...but if its ‘anyone’ ?