Montesa mh200 problems

Jonboy1970

Hi Guys, I hope you can help this newbie.

I have just purchased my first classic trials a montesa mh200.. it is in good condition and had a lot of money spent by the previous owner.

We took it out yesterday to put it through it paces and although it has started first kick every time up to now it ceased to run mid way through our session. I had a look today and it seems the plug was very wet and not sparking. I cleaned the plug and it briefly fires then its soaking wet again. I have stripped the carb 4 times today to double check there is no blocked jets etc and the float needle seems to be working correctly.

I feel it could be ignition related as the spark never looks that strong. The coil looks new as does the points. I also am struggling for info on the net to check stator and coil. 

Help please.

Have you had the flywheel off & checked the woodruff key ? I had one of those years ago & the key sheared progressively, initially just altering the timing a little before shearing fully & then killing it completely. A quick removal of flywheel revealed the culprit, a few pence worth of key ! Only happened once, always ran fine before & after. I think I remember setting timing with a tool in the plug hole to measure a number of millimetres before TDC.

Hope that helps.

• 3 weeks later...

So not so well prepared by previous owner. Change that plug while you are at it as it will now be a constant issue fouling. When you time the ignition make sure the piston is coming up towards TDC and not travelling down the bore, a simple easy mistake to make if you don’t work on engines much.