Poor mid to top end performance Scorpa 300 twenty

gasgasshetland

Hi there, just wondering if anyone might have any suggestions that I might try to resolve my issue. 
the bike is a 2015 Scorpa 300 twenty model. I bought it earlier this year and have had a few issues, so I will list what I have changed so far trying to sort the bike. It s running a keihin carb.

crank seals replaced, Reed valves and inlet block changed, new barrel and piston as it seized, new CDI, I also have set carb float height and tried a no3 slide, but it’s back on the standard 3.5 slide. It’s currently running a 128 main jet.

The bike runs fine at low revs, but if you try to open it up say in a hill climb or over the moor then it runs poorly and starts pinking. I have a 130 main jet that I am going to try, but if anyone has any other ideas what could be the problem that would be great as I’ve now spent so much trying to get this bike sorted out it’s doing my head in. 
maybe I should have tried the bigger main jet before posting here, but I will try it this week. Someone I ride with said had the new CDI been mapped to the bike, but I’ve never heard about that and don’t know if that is a requirement of  installing one.

Edited by gasgasshetland
Mistake in text

What fuel are you running? With a high compression ratio octane rating is critical. You can jet richer to reduce preignition but then you are throwing away power. This can be especially bad if the ignition advance is aggressive. Beta's were notorious for this.

Edited by dan williams

That’s unfortunate. You may be best served by putting in a lower compression head. If it makes you feel any better I run the S3 low comp head in my Beta and aside from it not squirting out from under me as often it really hasn’t lost anything.

Edited by dan williams

• 8 months later...

Check the timing mark.  I am wondering if the timing has been retarded to soften the power at higher revs - perhaps by too much.  About 3mm retarded (not degrees) will soften the power.  A bit more and it will run badly.    You will need to remove the flywheel to check this.  Special tool needed (E.bay, a few quid).