Newbie with a new course

Ben65

Well, this newbie got the course building bug on the weekend.  I love cutting in new single tracks in the bush for my TE300i, and it’s looking like building trials courses will scratch my itch also.

Ive just upgraded my 04 Gasser 250 to a Sherco 300 Factory, that looks like it’s a 13 with some fancy stuff thrown on. My boy has a Gasser50 which we’ve just sold, and this week pick him up a Beta 80.

The course will no doubt evolve as time goes on- please feel free to suggest obstacles.  I’ll be picking up some tractor tyres this week- just not sure on how is the best way to set them up.

***Well that didn’t work- I couldn’t even upload a 10second vid!! Any help??

B6B2EDED-BFE7-4F2B-8684-CFBA92C7FBC2.jpeg

090EEE6C-6A28-4063-80E9-814286F80A06.jpeg

3459C9D4-C067-489A-BC7E-2DA0B401D1E9.jpeg

6ECF7FDB-8D81-4785-A0E4-3C82D556DA0F.jpeg

EA6036B1-8B7B-44B6-B523-D641378C45C3.jpeg

EF3006E6-6C83-4A59-A64A-D4D6B2D31CBF.jpeg

3BA82BE2-3A34-46FF-8364-49A52E4E34EE.jpeg

4E7AE7D5-4DC1-4EB3-9EB3-692838B9DD1C.jpeg

D13B9EC0-6498-4339-B9D4-72848498E5DE.jpeg

Edited by Ben65
Added photos as I couldn’t upload vid

4 minutes ago, section swept said:

Gloves too ?nasty splinters from those pallets 

Gloves were used for moving logs and pallets!!  I must’ve got a tad excited and ‘misplaced’ my other gear.

• Like 2

Your tractor tyres, bury half the tyre upright, the rest sticking up, and lay down some a couple of feet apart to try and hop between....remember the layed flat ones need filling with soil, or they move a lot or collapse when ridden on.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, jonboy883 said:

Your tractor tyres, bury half the tyre upright, the rest sticking up, and lay down some a couple of feet apart to try and hop between....remember the layed flat ones need filling with soil, or they move a lot or collapse when ridden on.

AE1F8C6E-EDDA-42FD-87D7-324C807043D8.jpeg

Looks good Ben, 

I'd also set a couple of sections that are just slightly beyond your current ability, something that you can work up to that will challenge you. Riding sections repeatedly that you can complete is good for keeping up your skill level and confidence but to improve you need to keep gradually increasing the severity (nothing too dangerous though) so as to test yourself. It also keeps you interested and gets you excited when you achieve a section you thought you never could. Most sections you can just adapt as you improve, but setting a specifically harder section gives you a goal to aim at.

I do a bit of local coaching for some beginner riders, and this approach works really well and keeps them enthused. :)

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Intotrials said:

Looks good Ben, 

I'd also set a couple of sections that are just slightly beyond your current ability, something that you can work up to that will challenge you. Riding sections repeatedly that you can complete is good for keeping up your skill level and confidence but to improve you need to keep gradually increasing the severity (nothing too dangerous though) so as to test yourself. It also keeps you interested and gets you excited when you achieve a section you thought you never could. Most sections you can just adapt as you improve, but setting a specifically harder section gives you a goal to aim at.

I do a bit of local coaching for some beginner riders, and this approach works really well and keeps them enthused. :)

Thanks, and good points.

I think I’ve got a bit of time on my hands to master these ones firstly- I’d love to be able to ride the balance beams at will. They’ve got me a bit flustered atm.

Practice practice practice I guess.

On 8/24/2020 at 1:59 PM, bultobill said:

Ok Ben looks good. Would like to point out politely that practicing without boots and helmet is considered "bad form" especially if your photographer is around!

Having just damaged my helmet by throwing myself backwards onto some rocks, I concur. Better a damaged helmet than a damaged head. I can't remember the exact quote but Martin Brundle said something along the lines of, "If you've got a £20 head, buy a £20 helmet."

• Like 1

I think you need to keep your head up.. Going along those balance beams, you seem to be more concerned where the bottom of the engine is, rather than keeping your inner ear semi-circular canals lined up with the horizon.

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, phiggs said:

I think you need to keep your head up.. Going along those balance beams, you seem to be more concerned where the bottom of the engine is, rather than keeping your inner ear semi-circular canals lined up with the horizon.

I definitely need to keep my head up more.